Mean Mom If I Lock The 8 Month Old Out Of The Bedroom?

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know there’s tons of posts about kittens not letting you sleep but here’s my situation... I have 2 cats - Casey is 13 and Dexter is almost 8 months. They get along great 90% of the time and Dex is an awesome kitten (although we’re working on his rough play/biting issues)... but Dexter is driving me crazy at bedtime.

Dexter constantly wants to purr and be cuddled overnight. Casey (13) sleeps like a log. I’ve tried ignoring Dex as per the experts but he headbutts me in the nose (ouch!) and lies on my face/throat if I don’t pay attention to him when he’s purry. It’s really hard to ignore 11 pounds of kitten standing on your windpipe!!

Often times I’ll get exasperated and remove the cats from the bedroom... but then I feel guilty because Casey hasn’t done anything wrong. I also have to admit that I love it when Dex wants cuddles as he rarely holds still during the day...

Is it mean to lock Dex out of the bedroom but leave Casey in? Will Dex ever learn proper bedtime behaviour if he’s locked out all the time?

It’s been a long time since I’ve had a kitten and I’ve forgotten how crazy they can be. I’m seriously considering locking them out on work nights but letting them sleep with me on weekends so I can get some sleep.

Thoughts?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don’t play favorites. We make all of them sleep without us at night. It’s not mean, we really need our sleep or we can’t function. But we love having them sleep with us for naps.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had a kitten, I usually lock out the kitten with my older cat Barley (because only Barley has maximum tolerance for any kittens I fostered), and my other cat Bourbon stays with me in bed (as she also sleeps like a log until she feels she is hungry at 4 am!). Sometimes I lock out only the kitten. It is true. We need to also get our much deserved sleep and be able to recharge. But I suggest that when you separate the kitten there is food and water for him, and an access to his litter box.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to lock my girls out because I had a bit of a phobia about sleeping with animals. They stayed in the main part of the house from ages 4 months to when they were a little past 1 year old. When Christmas came, I didn't trust them to be alone with the tree so they were locked into my bedroom with me and I got over my fear. Now, they sleep wherever they choose. I don't think it's mean if the kitten is keeping you awake, just make sure the kitten has access to water and a litter box.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you ever tried placing him under the covers, down by your side and see if he will sleep there? That is, assuming him possibly laying up against your leg wouldn't bother you to much?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know from experience that a cat waking you too early or too often during the night will eventually lead to sleep deprivation. :yawn: In my case Ruby used to wake/pester me 60-90 minutes too early. I ended up putting her out of the room, and eventually (pretty quickly actually) she learned not to wake me before the radio came on.

In your case, it's a bit trickier having 2 cats. However, maybe one night when Dexter wakes you, try putting him in a kitten-safe room with his food, water, litter box and toys, and seeing if he sleeps quietly, or cries to be let out. I *think* I'd let Casey stay on the bed with you, since he shouldn't be punished for his little brother's behaviour. But it's a tough call. And one I haven't personally had to figure out.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing. :sleep:

ItsMaryann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a small dog that has always slept with us but our two 6 month old kittens are locked out of the bedroom at night.
I hope they aren’t wondering why they aren’t allowed in too but my husband doesn’t want cats in the bedroom. When we have let them in they walk all over us which would make it impossible to sleep. Our previous dogs and cats it’s been the same. Dog sleeps with us, cats don’t. At least these cats, so far, aren’t scratching and meowing at the door like one of our previous cats did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I had a kitten, I usually lock out the kitten with my older cat Barley (because only Barley has maximum tolerance for any kittens I fostered), and my other cat Bourbon stays with me in bed (as she also sleeps like a log until she feels she is hungry at 4 am!). Sometimes I lock out only the kitten. It is true. We need to also get our much deserved sleep and be able to recharge. But I suggest that when you separate the kitten there is food and water for him, and an access to his litter box.
If I lock just Dex out of the bedroom he has access to the rest of the apartment. Casey is smart enough to whine if he wants out of the bedroom. Casey has always slept in the bed since day 1 which is why I would feel guilty locking him out for no reason

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always lock mine out. I don't want cat fur all over my bed, I also want to teach him to respect my space and my pace. I guess I don't really come off as the biggest doting cat lover, but it's important to me to set healthy boundaries for him, he has his space, I have mine, we nap together but we don't sleep together, and he understands that.