Mean Little Kitty

rian1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

I am in need of advice for my new mean little kitty named Alice. (Mean maybe unfair to call her... maybe temperamental? )  My husband called me about 10 days ago to let me know that his co-worker wanted to get rid of his 10 month old cat. He had gotten it for his young kids, but they didn't like her and he only has visitation with them once a week. His co-worker isn't home much either and felt bad that the cat was alone. So of course my husband goes over there, falls in love, and brings her home.

Alice is a beautiful little cat that looks like a kitten. She can start sweetly rubbing against you and then start growling and hissing. She enjoys being pet and then snaps. Alice also will bite and bat at us. I'm guessing she wasn't socialize much since her previous owner was never home and she may be hesitant to trust humans because of the young kids who were rough with her. I've been cutting her some slack because I know this is a big change for her. We also have 2 other cats, both 6 year old males, and that coupled with a new home must be overwhelming.

For the first day we kept Alice in the bathroom. I bought a Feliway diffuser to help put her at ease. (Although it doesn't seem to have worked) I made her a little hut out of a cardboard box that I cut a hole in the side of so she could feel like she had a safe place.(... and have a towel in it so she's comfy!) She also has her own litter box in the bathroom and food. The bathroom is her safe place and the other cats are not allowed in there. We each spent some time with her so she could get used to us. It always starts off well and then she gets mean. I've never met a cat that growls so much.

I let her roam around the kitchen and living room on her own (I kept the other 2 cats in the bedroom) on day 2 and 3. She seemed to interested in the smell of the other cats. After 5 days I let her meet my cat Teddy, who is much more laid back. There was a little bit of hissing and growling, but it wasn't too bad. She even felt ok to play with the laser pointer while in the same room as Teddy and took a nap. A couple days ago I introduced her to my other cat Milo. Milo is more skittish, but the interactions haven't been too bad. There still is hissing and growling, but no fights.  I've had all three in the same room playing and napping. I still keep her in the bathroom when we aren't home or are sleeping. I'm not confident enough to leave them all together unsupervised just yet.

I want to help Alice become a better cat. Her aggression worries me and I understand she is still adjusting to a major changes. I just got a spray bottle that I was using every time she bites us. I had my husband call his co-worker to ask about her personality when she was with him. He described her as "bi-polar" so part of me is concerned that she just may be more of an anti-social cat. We're also getting her spayed on Tuesday, although don't think that will effect her temperament.

Any advice and/or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and welcome to the site!

With your patience and understanding, Alice seems to be adapting very well to her new home. 
 The fact that she can be in the same room with Teddy and Milo is a sure sign they have accepted each other.  When you have her spayed on Tuesday, talk to the vet about her behavior and history. It could be a health issue. Maybe she feels some pain from a small injury. Also in my experience, a spray bottle as discipline is useless. Alice could be one of those cats who have low tolerance about being petted, so let her come to you and when she does give her a short pat and then ignore her. In time (if there are no health problems) she will hang around enjoying your pets and cuddles. 

Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
May I also add the possibility that Alice may be over stimulated when petted. Some cats react aggressively when they feel they had too much of a good thing. 

Last edited:

scotty parno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi...Just want to agree that cats can get over stimulated very easily' When you see their ears go sideways or tail whip it's time to STOP letting him enjoy himself

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I think yayi is right, for the amount of change your little girl has had to cope with so far she seems to be doing well, and it is definitely a good idea to talk it all through with the vet in terms of her behaviour: whether any health issue may be behind it or to concentrate on her socialization and what level of stimulation she can cope with as she settles in and learns about how everyone communicates and what the boundaries are in your household.  Feliway can take time to work and I would not give up on it yet.  It is a more subtle influence than an immediate calm.  Also, if your home is fairly spacious you may need one in most of the areas Alice is using.

She may be more easily over stimulated, or prone to defensive aggression at the moment as she is still new to your home environment, and again this is worth taking time to see if it settles and not assume it is always going to be like this if the vet says she is well and no physical contributing factors.

One of my friends has a cat slightly older than my boy and she was adopted at a very young age (people who sold her were less than truthful).  She had had little socialization and after initial over enthusiastic children playing and chasing her she was a very nervous cat that would hide often, avoid coming near people, and was certain to bite and scratch after only the slightest stroke or touch.  Having been given space over the past couple of years, and gently coaxing her in to seek human contact for short periods at her own pace, and offering more calm play and warmth she is transformed in to a lovely little cat that will come in and sidle up with complete strangers or initiate play when the house is full of guests.  She still doesn't have a high tolerance for petting but she will roll around and seek strokes on a regular basis, and gives clear messages with her tail and ears as she starts to feel on edge.  

Do not give up hope on this young girl, it is far more likely that she is anxious and trying to protect her self than trying to be mean and hurt people.  As others have said, pay careful attention to the non verbal signals to try and avoid her getting to the defensive aggressive stage - which can happen very quickly.

And finally, she does look very sweet: she has a very pretty face and I adore her big ears all upright and alert.