Mean Cat

Messa14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 8 month old kitten is a jerk to say the least. I posted about him before but behavior hasnt gotten much better. A little background. We got him at 4-5 weeks old so probably not socialized well. Ever since he was little he prefers human flesh over toys. We did the whole play with toys not hands thing but he'd just go after our hands and whatever else he can grab (he got my inner thigh one day). Hes never really bites super hard but he seems to be biting a little harder these days and using claws. I try so hard not to yell at him or separate him but he gets relentless at times and getting up and moving really doesn't work. Im sure some of it is boredom and we play with him but he stops after a few minutes, we switch up toys but he just doesnt care. At other times he can be as sweet as can be and lets my son climb all over him. Im due in June and would like to curb some of this before baby comes. He also seems to be more aggressive towards me than my husband or son and im the nicest to him, go figure. Any ideas what to do? Feliway helped at first but then it didn't help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sounds like he needs some help in learning boundaries with his biting (and, now clawing), which even though you think it has become a little harder lately, is still likely play to him. It seems like he is getting worked up and kind of loses control when he get that far into the play process.

Here is one a few articles on this site that might help some. You can also search the articles yourself to see if there are others that might be even more helpful.

How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

The only reason I can think of that he might be more aggressive with you is hormonal changes since you are expecting (Congratulations, btw!!!).

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said that you try not to yell, but actually a loud "No!" is one of the most common methods recommended here, and it is what I have always done. One poster here recommends a loud "hiss" and another recommends dropping a can of quarters. The point is a startling noise right when the behavior occurs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Messa14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes since 3 months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Messa14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You said that you try not to yell, but actually a loud "No!" is one of the most common methods recommended here, and it is what I have always done. One poster here recommends a loud "hiss" and another recommends dropping a can of quarters. The point is a startling noise right when the behavior occurs.
Ill have to try that

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Our 8 month old kitten is a jerk to say the least. I posted about him before but behavior hasnt gotten much better. A little background. We got him at 4-5 weeks old so probably not socialized well. Ever since he was little he prefers human flesh over toys. We did the whole play with toys not hands thing but he'd just go after our hands and whatever else he can grab (he got my inner thigh one day). Hes never really bites super hard but he seems to be biting a little harder these days and using claws. I try so hard not to yell at him or separate him but he gets relentless at times and getting up and moving really doesn't work. Im sure some of it is boredom and we play with him but he stops after a few minutes, we switch up toys but he just doesnt care. At other times he can be as sweet as can be and lets my son climb all over him. Im due in June and would like to curb some of this before baby comes. He also seems to be more aggressive towards me than my husband or son and im the nicest to him, go figure. Any ideas what to do? Feliway helped at first but then it didn't help.
I'd agree with the above that he needs boundaries. A general rule with cats is it takes two weeks of consistent reinforcement to change a behavior. Just one time of not reinforcing behavior will restart that two week timer.

Which means ... Get everyone in the household on board that the slightest touch of claw or tooth will result in an over the top reaction. A sharp no, a loud ouch, a hiss, whichever gets him to pause and startle him a little. Then completely 100% ignore his existence for a ten count. Physically turn or walk away so he knows you are ignoring him. After you count to ten you go back to normal as if it didn't happen. If he repeats the tooth or claw you repeat the loud reaction and ignoring. If he does it three times in a row you leave the room, ignoring him as you go.

Cats like any attention, good or bad. So ignoring him is the worst punishment in an interactive cats mind. You see Mom cats doing the same when their kittens get to be too much; just getting up and leaving. After two weeks of giving the same reaction every single time by every single member of the household you should see a change.