Meal Schedule Had To Change.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I started working I had to feed my cat on two different schedules. The one was his regular. Early in the am, and dinnertime. But now I work TWO jobs. On the other days, when he can't be fed on his preferred schedule I feed him at 8 am, and 9 pm. I decided to make that his daily schedule so he'd have no variations in feeding. He doesn't seem to like this and now he's barely touching his wet food. I don't want to feed him only dry. Is there anything I can do here? Maybe switch back to having his preferred schedule on the 4 days that it is possible? What do you think?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he have access to dry food at all times?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Wet food gets bad if you leave it out too long. There are automatic feeders to buy for wet food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Depending in how hot it is where you are, wet food can be left out for several hours. You could look into a dish arrangement where there's an ice pack underneath.

I think I'd try his original schedule, however he might be boycotting wet food now, possibly due to the stress of the change, which is to say he may be picking up on your stress because this is a pretty big deal for you too.

See if a calming diffuser (thunderease and sentry are a couple of many products), or calming treats (Calm-o-mile is one of many) helps him.

Also, if he's reluctant to start eating, try heating his food a little bit, try some warm water added to a pate, try bonito flakes as an enticing topper, or tuna, fortiflora, crumbled kibble or treats...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wet food gets bad if you leave it out too long. There are automatic feeders to buy for wet food.
Hi Daisy, thank you. I heard so, and was wondering how they work.

He doesn't eat his food at night and then eats it after 10 hrs of sitting into the morning. I can't pick it up after a few hours in the mornings either, although my grandmother does most of the times cuz she's home.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Depending in how hot it is where you are, wet food can be left out for several hours. You could look into a dish arrangement where there's an ice pack underneath.

I think I'd try his original schedule, however he might be boycotting wet food now, possibly due to the stress of the change, which is to say he may be picking up on your stress because this is a pretty big deal for you too.

See if a calming diffuser (thunderease and sentry are a couple of many products), or calming treats (Calm-o-mile is one of many) helps him.

Also, if he's reluctant to start eating, try heating his food a little bit, try some warm water added to a pate, try bonito flakes as an enticing topper, or tuna, fortiflora, crumbled kibble or treats...
Oh, he is definitely stressed. He's avoiding me and sniffing around more, and there's boxes everywhere because we are renovating, plus the arguments and me rushing around like a lunatic. My poor baby keeps looking up at me, like "why, mom?" it makes me nuts! :runaround::dizzy:

I'll think about the dishes with an ice pack.

I've heard about chamomile tea, would that help? Can I give him that everyday with his dental fluid?... I just wish this house situation would be settled soon.

He's walking around like he doesn't have a friend.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does he have access to dry food at all times?
Yes. He eats Annamaet. He loves it! It's the only one I've found that he actually crunches with his teeth. It might be because of their shape, but I don't know.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, poor baby! Yes, chamomile tea made from tea bags is the safe kind for cats, and with his dental fluid would work.
Would you be able to play classical harp music, at a soft volume? It's known to
relax cats, or if you'd rather there's a computer/phone app called Relax My Cat.
Can you confine him to an area that's a little out of the way of everything?

Last edited:

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor baby! Yes, chamomile tea made from tea bags is the safe kind for cats, and with his dental fluid would work.
Would you be able to play classical harp music, at a soft volume? It's known to
relax cats, or if you'd rather there's a computer/phone app called Relax My Cat.
Can you confine him to an area that's a little out of the way of everything?
He likes Relax My Cat! He also likes chakra meditation music! :p I had no clue that he would but he came in once when I had it on and sat real tall next to me like "i could get used to this" Thanks for reminding me of that! Amazon Prime is miraculous.

I will give him chamomile tea. thanks.

I could confine him to my room. He was confined there for the first 3 months he came home.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Daisy, thank you. I heard so, and was wondering how they work.

He doesn't eat his food at night and then eats it after 10 hrs of sitting into the morning. I can't pick it up after a few hours in the mornings either, although my grandmother does most of the times cuz she's home.
There is a timer to open each compartment's sliding door at the times youi select. Most of them are for dry food, but there are some wiht icepacks.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. He eats Annamaet. He loves it! It's the only one I've found that he actually crunches with his teeth. It might be because of their shape, but I don't know.
I was going to say that this might be why he is picky. He may not feel that hungry when you put the wet food down because he fills up on dry.