Me Probably Over-analyzing Asti's Health Again

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Asti has been doing pretty well lately. But there has been a bit of strange behavior lately. I'm probably over thinking it, but I thought I'd get some opinions anyways.

A few days ago he started sleeping basically allllll day. I mean A LOT. He still ate, drank, urinated/defecated his normal amount & such but he just kept sleeping. Yesterday, I left the door cracked open as I took out the garbage & my neighbors stopped me to talk & he managed to go on a little adventure outside. He only went under my car on concrete so he didn't eat anything weird or get into anything. But since then, he's been a ball of energy. Not sleeping much at all. Always sitting at the door & meowing to go outside. But the really odd thing that kind of worries me is that today he keeps going back to his food bowl. A lot more than usual. He usually leaves the dry food that I give him but today he ate all his dry & wet food already.

I know I'm probably just worrying about nothing again. But what do you think?

Maybe his adventure yesterday woke him up & since he's been running around a lot & meowing, he's burning more energy than usual so he's eating more? I figured maybe he's been bored in the house so that's why he slept more. Everything else seems relatively normal. Sometimes his breathing rate is a bit high but it always goes back to normal. He's been licking at his legs for months now & his vet said she didn't see any kind of inflammation or anything so we just wrote that off as a nervous habit & not from pain. His last blood test was in March & it was normal.

It doesn't seem like any kind of disease or issue that would cause him to eat more, right? Share your knowledge & opinions please.

I assume I'd see some other symptoms with it if it was an issue. He's overweight so I've always been nervous about him getting diabetes. He's going in for a check up when I can get the money together for it anyways (his vet wants to recheck his FIV test to see if it was messed up). It's only been going on today so I'm definitely going to monitor him.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have enrichment type things for him, interactive toys and places he can climb onto. Does he have access to windows that he can look out of? It sounds like he may just need some interesting things inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has tooooons of toys. I actually try to play with him a lot. He's still going back to his food bowl a lot today but he actually hasn't finished all of his dry food today. His energy level seems normal again as well. I leave all of my blinds up to all of my windows so he can run to each & look outside. He actually does that a lot. Sometimes the stray cats outside come to look at Asti & they meow at each other lol.

He does seem bored sometimes but I'm not sure what else I can do for him. He loses interest in things quickly.