Maybe She Needs To Be A Barn Cat...

kara701

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been fostering feral kittens from the same feral cat colony for years. This is the first time I've had a kitten like Ellie. Ellie's basically feral but minus the fearful part. She's rough, she bites, she scratches, and I can't really pet her for more than a few seconds without her attacking me. She found a home when she was 8 weeks old - I had only had her a day so I didn't know her personality. They returned her the next day without really saying why... now I think it's because of how she is. She's like 13 weeks old now and about to be spayed and put up for adoption... but considering how she is, I'm starting to think she's too dangerous for kids and no one's going to want her, even though she's adorable and occasionally nice... (To add... she's also food crazy. I can barely eat anything around her, she goes crazy and tries to get my food.)
Is there anything I can do to try to calm her down? To make her less crazy and 'aggressive'? I'm at a loss here. I suppose she may need to be a barn cat? (She absolutely misses the outdoors...)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As for the hunger part, as she been wormed recently?
A spay may help her to calm down a bit if she has started to produce hormones.

Do you play with her? I mean really play with her to help burn off some of her energy and aggression. Some cats do not like to be pet. Not only because it scares them, but also when you rub your hands along their fur, it can create a type of static electricity build up that is very uncomfortable for a cat.

I would be sure to have a good wand toy and really really get her moving. Since she is young and full of energy, the sessions may take 20 minutes. You want her really tired out after a play session. Then after each session, you need to give her a small amount of food or a special snack. When playing, cats will turn on their hunting instincts. After a hunting session in the outdoors, a cat is rewarded with it's prey to eat. So by giving a small snack you can satisfy that instinct.

She is still young. I would not give up on her at 13 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara701

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As for the hunger part, as she been wormed recently?
A spay may help her to calm down a bit if she has started to produce hormones.

Do you play with her? I mean really play with her to help burn off some of her energy and aggression. Some cats do not like to be pet. Not only because it scares them, but also when you rub your hands along their fur, it can create a type of static electricity build up that is very uncomfortable for a cat.

I would be sure to have a good wand toy and really really get her moving. Since she is young and full of energy, the sessions may take 20 minutes. You want her really tired out after a play session. Then after each session, you need to give her a small amount of food or a special snack. When playing, cats will turn on their hunting instincts. After a hunting session in the outdoors, a cat is rewarded with it's prey to eat. So by giving a small snack you can satisfy that instinct.

She is still young. I would not give up on her at 13 weeks.
It's been a bit since I've posted this but I thought you'd like to know everything worked out! I didn't give up on her and she made a lot of progress. She found a wonderful forever home with her sister. <3

(Thank you so much for your advice)

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great happy ending ( beginning?) I was never a fan of the “barn cat” thing. I know it works but relies too heavily on the farmers cooperation. I live in a rural area and while most farmers have barn cats they do not supplement feed and certainly do not keep new barn cats they get caged to allow adjustment.
So glad Ellie has a forever home...great job!