Maybe Pregnant? Pregnancy Test?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have one 20 minutes up the road but my parents are too busy to get up there and I can't due to me not driving.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you work it out eventually for getting mom spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old?

It's usually a morning drop off and an afternoon pickup. Perhaps a Saturday?

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I can it'll have to be after the new years once all kittens are born and holidays are over with. We're low on $$ right now. Weve had a lot happen the past couple weeks that left us moneyless

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's fine! Mama cats should not be spayed until the kittens are 8 weeks old.

Do you know how much your clinic costs for a spay?

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The closest to me is $85.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raising kittens is EXTREMELY expensive. It will cost far more to feed her while nursing, then to feed the kittens and buy them litter, and of course if there's a medical issue that will cost a lot too. If she's not too far along she can have a spay/abort procedure. Perhaps your parents would prefer that option, better tell them now so they can decide.

How long ago did she meet the male?

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They wouldn't let me "abort" the kittens. They'd rather her have them then get rid of them but

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They wouldnt let me "abort" them. They'd rather her have them then give them away but they'd much prefer if she wasn't preggers at all. Step mom hates cats so I'm not sure how she's going to react. Ignore the one above.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there was an unneutered male allowed access to her, she's almost certainly pregnant. When was the first time she met him, and the last time? Maybe we can figure out how far along she is.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He moved in around June-ish and he left just about late November. They were around each other the entire time. We didn't think she could because we thought he was too young but apparently not.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was just a kitten when he moved in here. old enough to be away from his mom by a few weeks probably.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a picture of your cat? Are her nipples pinking up at all?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Say he was 8-12 weeks in the middle of June, then in mid-November he would have been 7 or 8 months old. So there is a chance she's not pregnant. Most males don't figure it out until 9+ months, even though they can be fertile as young as 4 months. They're just clueless ;). So about 50/50 odds, I'd say.

Keep a close eye on her. . .if she is pregnant you should see some pink nipples and a growing tummy pretty soon. See if you can increase her wet food intake and/or switch her to kitten chow, just in case. The babies could use the extra vitamins. But we'll all hope that she isn't preggo, for everyone's sake!

Is there anything about her looks or behavior that seems to indicate she's pregnant?

Even if she's not pregnant, it would be a good idea to spay her when you can manage it. Some females start to urine mark when they're in heat, and if your stepmom doesn't like cats she definitely won't like urine marking :/.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's become round in the belly and her nipples have gotten bigger but they're the same color as they use to be. She's eating & drinking more also. We're all thinking she is.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I can't get a picture. She won't sit still long enough to show her stomach. It's probably the size of a small melon and yes her nipples are pinker than normal.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can we keep her in dry food or do we have to swap her to wet food?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can feed dry kitten food as much as she wants and wet food to her :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Both are best for a pregnant cat! They need double the nutrition while pregnant and nursing.