Maybe I need an air horn?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my 1 yr old has this habit which I worry might be dangerous. When I use the treadmill, she bats at the moving tread from the back. Its a firmly set notion -- if I go use the treadmill, she wants to do this. The thing is big enough that I'm not going to step on her, and I think the belt is solid enough that I don't actually see how she could catch a nail, but still, I just have a generalized sense that somehow, someway, there is a potential for a bad outcome. I could exclude her from the room, and this is what I've usually done, but it is one of her main living areas and contains one of the litter boxes, and both cats like to go there when I go there. Given that I'm on the treadmill at the time facing away from the cat, my options are a bit limited. I guess I could try a loud "no!" but given that I'm 4 feet away facing in the wrong direction, I was thinking maybe an air horn I could point backwards might be better. Or maybe this falls in the "not worth it to train" category and I ought to just keep excluding her.

What do you think, and is there a brand that is best for this? Never owned an air horn to my knowledge nor used for pet training.

P.S. Today I had the notion that perhaps I could put the treadmill on when I wasn't on it, and clap near her when she went for it. She looked at me like I was crazy, and had no interest in doing the game without me on it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What does your other cat do? Might be that this younger cat will 'get over it' in time. Can you turn the treadmill around so you can see her coming at it - and, tell her 'No' from that standpoint? Not a fan of air horns, so I personally wouldn't recommend it, especially since the older cat doesn't need to be involved in that whole ordeal. Maybe, put her in a carrier or a play pen that she can see you from but not approach? She just wants to play, so I think time/aging is the issue. Find a way to get her used to the treadmill, but prohibit her from wanting to approach it when you can't see what she is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has had this interest for maybe 3 months -- I dont use the treadmill as much as I should or I would have solved it by now lol. I've just turned my attention back to the problem because its been 90+ for like 2 weeks here and I haven't been motivating to jog outside. Anyway, with it going on 3+ months, I don't think she is getting over it anytime soon! The other older cat never had any interest, and your right that he isn't a guilty party so doesn't deserve to be scared. He isn't necessarily close to her though, and in any event is incredibly tightly bonded to me and wouldn't be bothered for more than a few seconds at most. I can't really flip it - it needs to face the TV or I'd never use it lol.

I'll likely just exclude her. But its hard in practice. She isn't around when I start so I don't think of it, I use it for like 15 minutes, then she comes in and I'm like "well there was nothing on tv anyway" lol so I stop. (Find it much easier to jog outside if its not too hot.) Anyway, thats me, not her, so I'll deal with it!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How does she feel about the vacuum cleaner? If she, like most cats, hates it, turn it on in the room for a few minutes before you start the treadmill. Might be enough to keep her out of the room til you are done.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does she feel about the vacuum cleaner? If she, like most cats, hates it, turn it on in the room for a few minutes before you start the treadmill. Might be enough to keep her out of the room til you are done.
She is a bit skittish generally, which makes it so odd that 180 pound me thumping on the whirring treadmill doesn't bother her. But if I could remember the vaccum cleaner, I can remember to close the door. I'll just get in the habit of doing that I suppose. Simplest solution is probably best and all.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about a bicycle horn? You could attach it to something handy on the treadmill and give her a honk when she starts that. 🔊

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
But if I could remember the vaccum cleaner, I can remember to close the door. I'll just get in the habit of doing that I suppose. Simplest solution is probably best and all.
I agree! :agree: You might get distracted by something you're watching on tv or she might dart out since cats are so quick. Closing the door is probably the easiest and safest thing to do for both of you. Good luck!

I sympathize with you on not being able to run outdoors due to the heat. It's been awful here too and the humidity makes it even worse. Our gym opened up with strict restrictions and I've been considering going there to exercise.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put a sticky somewhere obvious on the treadmill that has "Close Door!" in large letters. A few days in and the habit will be formed.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a video of this today. Haven't used the treadmill in a long time, been jogging outside, so I forgot. The culprit is Pip, a smallish one year old.

Last edited: