Maybe A Dumb Question About Pre-mixes...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can I use Better In The Raw or EZComplete with ground salmon? :think: I'm not able to get HT from the pet store until after the summer (owner made a huge 500 lb order last week to last her dogs for the summer. Missed getting my order on that by a few days :doh:) so I have to feed Oma's Pride. The only boneless Oma's Pride available are venison, wild boar, and salmon. I don't see any reason I wouldn't be able to use EZComplete or Better In The Raw with the salmon but does anyone know?

I know I can order HT myself but I have zero freezer space for a minimum 10 lb order and a separate chest freezer is not an option. It's just easier for me to buy chubs as needed.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve read the foodfurlife.com (EZComplete) website pretty thoroughly but I don’t remember seeing anything about using salmon. Try emailing them; they’ve been very responsive when I’ve done that.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's very discouraged to just use fish as the protein source. For one, it prevents proper gut microbe vitamin K synthesis, so you'd need to supplement vitamin K if using over 15-25% fish. Also, salmon is pretty top of the food chain, and so is usually pretty heavily mercury contaminated (farm-raised, wild-caught, and 'organic'), so not suggested for large usage in cats' food. Someone told me there was a link between fish-based food and hyperthyroidism, but I don't have a source for that.

Anyway, it's really not encouraged, and can cause deficiencies in the long run. If it's only for a short time, then maybe it'd be fine.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't see why EZComplete couldn't be used with ground salmon. The main issue with fish is the extra need for thiamine, but there should be enough in there plus you don't feed a lot of it anyway.

Have you looked around for Primal chubs? They have 80/10/10 mixes and some boneless options, and I know some pet stores carry them. Also will your cats eat chunks? If you're using EZComplete you can add it to meat that you cut up yourself with scissors.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve read the foodfurlife.com (EZComplete) website pretty thoroughly but I don’t remember seeing anything about using salmon. Try emailing them; they’ve been very responsive when I’ve done that.
:yeah: I would definitely write to them to ask.

Beyond the technical question, I'd have the same concerns as EmmiTemmi EmmiTemmi about feeding much salmon. We feed a little bit of fish every now and then as a treat but there are just too many points against feeding much. Including that our previous cat was a fish addict: we didn't know then about the minuses of feeding fish!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just asking if a pre-mix could be used with ground salmon, that's all :) I know fish isn't great for cats. Raw with pre-mix is only a small spoonful mixed in with NV raw for my cats.