May Have To Put Down My Sweet Cat....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elenya Rose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your Callie is just beautiful, I hope everything goes well for you. You sound like a lovely cat parent :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rkmerley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry everybody...

Thank you all for the love and support. Unfortunately when I took her to the other (very good) emergency vet, he had reiterated the same things this time with a few tests done... He could tell she had much more than just liver disease... I had seen first hand how much she struggled walking out of the carrier. And breathing itself. Her skin was just so stretchy and wouldn't go down. And simply... everything else. I sat beside her the whole duration, and then some. She looked so healthy, but that may just have been because of her striking beauty. Thank you for your prayers everybody... Now my focus will be giving my love for these two kitties beside me.

I'll be getting her name tattooed on me.

Callie // Nickname: Caillou
February 14, 2008 - July 9th, 2018
I love you and I miss you and it won't be the same without you. If I had a choice, I would keep you beside me forever.... but I love you far too much to do that. So I let you go in hopes we'll see eachother again one day, my beautiful, precious , calico baby.
In the short time you were with me, you were my whole world. I hope in that little time I was something in yours too...
Forever yours,
Merle

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more thing: That recommendation I read somewhere above about a "holistic" book: Don't!
There is a reason things like that are called "alternative medicine": They don't work. If they worked, somebody would do studies, patent them and make money with them. The fact that nobody has done it tells you that it doesn't work. Do do your cat a favor and stick with real doctors.
It's hard, but sooner or later it hit's all of us. I would give a lot to have another year with my kitty, but not at the expense of her suffering during that time.
Many people have used holistic approaches, but it's no different than traditional medicine. Most people (especially those just getting started) need guidance from someone who has studied it on their own.
Many of these alternative routes DO work, and work well and much deeper. Based on the tone, I can only assume you've never studied, practiced, or used these methods in depth so can only go by your opinion..

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry everybody...

Thank you all for the love and support. Unfortunately when I took her to the other (very good) emergency vet, he had reiterated the same things this time with a few tests done... He could tell she had much more than just liver disease... I had seen first hand how much she struggled walking out of the carrier. And breathing itself. Her skin was just so stretchy and wouldn't go down. And simply... everything else. I sat beside her the whole duration, and then some. She looked so healthy, but that may just have been because of her striking beauty. Thank you for your prayers everybody... Now my focus will be giving my love for these two kitties beside me.

I'll be getting her name tattooed on me.

Callie // Nickname: Caillou
February 14, 2008 - July 9th, 2018
I love you and I miss you and it won't be the same without you. If I had a choice, I would keep you beside me forever.... but I love you far too much to do that. So I let you go in hopes we'll see eachother again one day, my beautiful, precious , calico baby.
In the short time you were with me, you were my whole world. I hope in that little time I was something in yours too...
Forever yours,
Merle
:grouphug2:
I'm sure you were her whole world here more than we humans could ever know.
I like the tattoo idea as well.. =)

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as I can only imagine how difficult this is right now.
The tattoo is wonderful. I guarantee you that your love for her was felt and known! She was in such a special place with someone who loved her so much and that's something to hold onto. She was such a lucky kitty to have you.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so sorry to read this horrible news, but you did the right and proper thing if she was really that bad. But you gave her much love even for a short time, it is just so sad that she couldn't stay with you longer, but her spirit will live with you forever. She is not hurting now, she is just fine, no more pain at all, and she thanks you for helping her leave her pain riddled Earthly body, but she is in the next life now and is just fine and you will see her again one day.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sad and sorry but you did all you could and more, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless you......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
And I recall when we had to put Simon down May 2014 I said to the vet "are you sure, he looks so good yet?", and he said "yes he does, but on the inside he is very sick" and he was, so looks can be deceiving I guess......:(

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I recall when we had to put Simon down May 2014 I said to the vet "are you sure, he looks so good yet?", and he said "yes he does, but on the inside he is very sick" and he was, so looks can be deceiving I guess......:(
Our vet once said that once a cat actually lets on something is maybe, kind of sort of "not right", it's usually "very wrong".
They're so tough. When we see them acting not right but assume they're just feeling off and get terrible news it's amazing to think how tough they really, REALLY are when my dogs usually start screaming and wailing and keep it up for a week whenever they stub a toe (uh, they get that from me...)
Our asthmatic was a great example. He coughed sometimes, we blew it off. He wasn't active, we figured he was too cool to play, but when the day came that he was unable to breathe we realized we had something really bad going on and how long did he live with this without complaint?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’ve gotten a lot of advice on Callie (who is adorable, by the way). I think if she’s eating by herself, it’s not yet time. I agree with other posters that now that she’s gotten some fluids, she should have blood work done to assess where you are and to guide you in the future if necessary. Cats tend not to drink enough on their own and subcutaneous fluids (which you can easily give at home) can make a big difference in their well-being.

You know better than anyone else when it’s time to let her go. Listen to her. We are here to support you in whatever you decide.
I just talked to a very dear friend today that said they lost one of their older, elderly, failing dogs and decided on euthanasia because this tough, sweet, wonderful little dog just kept hanging on...probably for them. I think they do that sometimes. They know we love them and refuse to let it go, but sometimes telling them they HAVE to and we'll be OK, and we'll see you when we pass on, helps them.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so sorry to read this horrible news, but you did the right and proper thing if she was really that bad. But you gave her much love even for a short time, it is just so sad that she couldn't stay with you longer, but her spirit will live with you forever. She is not hurting now, she is just fine, no more pain at all, and she thanks you for helping her leave her pain riddled Earthly body, but she is in the next life now and is just fine and you will see her again one day.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:
:rbheart:
I am sad and sorry but you did all you could and more, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless you......:alright: :grouphug:
That saying..."Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" is so, so true. It's not just lip service happy slappy comfort, it's true (to me.)
I have not heard this phrase anywhere but TCS and it's helped us deal with passing of cat, livestock, dogs....and humans we love as well because (to us) it's simple, it's true, and why WOULDN'T it be true?
Our ideas of the next life are so individual... and sometimes so distraught with fear, and disbelief, and hope, and thoughts of "well, what if..." but IME these thoughts are for this world alone. I don't feel mankind is really capable of understanding what lies beyond, and that's not a nasty shot...it's what we're wired for.
This probably sounds totally weird, and I do apologize...but (as always.)...
JMO.

Starlion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my first 10 year old baby 3 months ago at a petsmart shelter, and the employee advised me that they took her to the vet to get checked out. She had constipation issues so she had a prescribed med to deal with that, and so on. She was pretty underweight compared to how senior cats should be. She quickly became the love of the family, to the point we can't even remember our lives before her.

Three days before we took her to the vet because she was having bladder issues... and the vet told us she had liver disease among other things (yellow ears, with jaundice but barely seen unless under direct white light), dehydrated to the max, underweight, they couldn't even take a blood sample because the vein wouldn't give, and "she probably has other issues as well". At our house, compared to the shelter, she'd eat and drink so much but apparently she wasn't retaining anything.... she's suffering, and continuing to suffer. Now I'm just questioning why the first vet didn't see it, because our vet told us she'd been suffering like this for a long time... my poor baby. She seemed so happy, she'd meow and thrill, she'd follow us and just simply sit with us (she hates playing), but deep down inside her organs were shutting down.

I'm sad, I'm angry, I can't stop crying every half hour. I do not regret adopting her in the slightest nor do my family. I'm so honored to have met her. I'm going on Monday to say goodbye... I don't know how to go on from there. But I'm staying by her side until then.
Please just know that your cat is probably the happiest it has ever been in it's life the past 3 months. And
I adopted my first 10 year old baby 3 months ago at a petsmart shelter, and the employee advised me that they took her to the vet to get checked out. She had constipation issues so she had a prescribed med to deal with that, and so on. She was pretty underweight compared to how senior cats should be. She quickly became the love of the family, to the point we can't even remember our lives before her.

Three days before we took her to the vet because she was having bladder issues... and the vet told us she had liver disease among other things (yellow ears, with jaundice but barely seen unless under direct white light), dehydrated to the max, underweight, they couldn't even take a blood sample because the vein wouldn't give, and "she probably has other issues as well". At our house, compared to the shelter, she'd eat and drink so much but apparently she wasn't retaining anything.... she's suffering, and continuing to suffer. Now I'm just questioning why the first vet didn't see it, because our vet told us she'd been suffering like this for a long time... my poor baby. She seemed so happy, she'd meow and thrill, she'd follow us and just simply sit with us (she hates playing), but deep down inside her organs were shutting down.

I'm sad, I'm angry, I can't stop crying every half hour. I do not regret adopting her in the slightest nor do my family. I'm so honored to have met her. I'm going on Monday to say goodbye... I don't know how to go on from there. But I'm staying by her side until then.
Please just know that she was far better off with you. You made her final months the best you could, and you should take pride in that. If she was suffering, then it was good of you to know to let go. She's is in a better, painless, place now.

Status
Not open for further replies.