May be taking in another cat!

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got out of the shower this afternoon I found my roommate in tears. Turns out that two of the cats she had at home are giving her mother problems and her mom doesn't feel like she can handle it anymore. Her plan was to put them both to sleep. Each cat is around 15 years old and both are healthy. One of the cats was my roommates and the other was her sister's. Obviously my roommate doesn't want to see her childhood kitty put down when she is in good health so she broached the subject of bringing AJ to live out the rest of her life with us. Her sister has already offered to take the other cat. I told her that as long as AJ was introduced properly into the apartment, since it will obviously be a big shock for her, and as long as she was primarily my roomies responsibility (as far as bills are concerned and everything) that I would be ok with it. I'd much rather she live with us than be put down.

So, it's not completely definite that we will be getting her, but it's looking like that will be what happens. I'm happy to provide a home for her, but am also nervous about helping her to adjust! Keep your fingers crossed for us!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Just one question - wouldn't it be better if your roommate's sister took both cats, since they've been together for so long?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Just one question - wouldn't it be better if your roommate's sister took both cats, since they've been together for so long?
It definitely would, and that was my roommate's first suggestion, but apparently this will be her sister's 5th cat and her limit. I would absolutely want them to stay together if we could figure out a way to make that happen though. That's actually one of the reasons why I say I'm not 100% sure that she'll end up with us.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I wonder if Waffle could adjust to two oldies moving in?
Waffle's adjustment is my other main concern. My roomies cat, Coco, is already fairly used to both of these cats since he's been around them for the past two summers so he's not really going to be an issue at all. Waffle has only really been around younger cats so I can't even say how I think she would react to two older ones. There's definitely not going to be any complete decision made until everything is looked at from all angles.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck making this decision. I know there's a lot to consider.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katherine, I'm glad you are considering sharing your home with another kitty.

I don't know the circumstances, but it really makes me so mad
when people give up their pets because it is no longer convenient. Thank YOU for helping this kitty. He/she deserves a GOOD home.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck with that Katherine.
It's a lot better than someone putting them down because they are tired of having cats.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for having an open mind & heart!
Would your roommate consider keeping the cats together, and also be willing to keep them in her room together, if Waffle & Coco are too upset about the deal? I don't know if age makes a difference or not, but I had rescued Snowy, a kitten, and Joey & JC (actually, it was Joey, who took it out on Snowy and JC) were really miffed! Fortunately, Snowy was able to go to San Diego with my grandson. Then I got 2 more rescued kittens and my boys are much more open-minded with them; I think a big reason is because the kittens bug each other as much as they do Joey & JC.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think their would be to many adjustment problems. In May when my sister came to visit from VA she brought her 15 yrs old cat. She was 1st at mom and dad's for a few days before she came here. Her cat got along well with my herd. Her cat pretty much stayed in the guest bedroom but used the litter boxes in my basement. Perhaps it helped that he had recognized me from prior visits. Ash is a calm cat which again helped and he had recently lost his companion cat so is isn't really "afraid" of others.
Good luck on your decision.

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everything goes well and you guys can work everything out for poor AJ. I'm glad you and your roomie have such big hearts!

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the support guys. I still don't know much more than I originally did. Whatever ends up happening though we'll try to make sure that it's what's best for AJ and Jewel (the other cat that her sister might take). I'll definitely keep you guys posted! Thanks again though, you guys are awesome.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Katherine,I hope that it all works out for you and the two kitties!
Whatever happens, I hope they find a wonderful place to live!

Good luck with it all and I look forward to finding out what happens!