Maturing/settling in, or cause for concern?

NikSibeMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I’m a first-time cat owner and reading this forum has been so helpful. Because the way our cat came to us was somewhat unusual, I could now use some advice. Nikolai is a two-year, three-month-old Siberian who belonged to a close friend who passed away about six months ago. Our friend gave Nikolai to my husband and me a couple weeks before he died.

Other than being a little freaked out the first night at our house, Nikolai handled the transition really well. We had the advantage of the same food, litter box, toys and so on, and he never missed a step. He’s also adjusted well to small changes over time. (For instance, our friend fed all dry and we are now feeding both wet and dry.)

When he first came to live with us, Nikolai wanted interactive play all day and into the night. I assumed it was because he was young and probably had not gotten a lot of play once our friend became quite ill. Also at first Nikolai was only OK with brief petting, lapsitting, or pick-ups.

Over the last month or so, I’ve noticed he’s much less frenetic about play. The intensity and duration have scaled way back from six months ago. And now I can pick him up or pet him pretty much anytime, and he solicits petting, especially a morning snuggle.

Nikolai had a full vet check a month after he came to live with us and his eating, drinking, and litter box habits are all fine.

Is it OK to chalk these behavior changes up to his maturing and settling in with us? Or is “less play” in a cat this age the kind of behavior change that should trigger a full vet check?

I know everyone loves pictures, and so do I, so here is Nikolai. Thanks for any insights you may have.
Nik1.jpg

Nik2.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!! I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Is it OK to chalk these behavior changes up to his maturing and settling in with us?
With everything else you've described, not least that he's asking for pets, absolutely yes. You and this furbaby have made one of the most seamless transitions ever. :purr: :bouquet:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like Furballsmom he said l would put it down to that aswell. He has settled in wonderfully well done you. Loved the pictures he's gorgeous, what stunning blue eyes. :welcomesign:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember that stupid saying that one cat year = seven years? Well it *is* stupid, but it isn't totally useless. Let's use that to think about your question -- i.e., this is a 16 year old that came to live with you 3 and a half years ago, and you are asking if it is normal that the 16 year old is acting a bit differently than the 12 1/2 year old that came to live with you. Thought of that way, you can see that it would be weird if the behavior was the same, not that it changed a bit. Agree with everyone else that gradually playing less overtime is normal and nothing to worry about absent other changes.