Matting furr advice

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to call around this week for a groomer but I'd like some advice if there's anything I can try at home. There are clumps of furr one that's for tight or kind if compacted together another that's kind of knotted. I've seen combs on Amazon that say they'll help. With a situation like this I'm unsure if there's any steps I might try to make it less painful. When I touch the area it seems bothersome she does not bite instead falls over and licks.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will she let you touch them?
I have had to do it in the past with my Babylove, I would take a pair of thinning sheers and kind of slowly notch into the mat. The scissors have teeth and a flat blade. They wont make her bald but it will thin out the matt to maybe where you can get in there off and on and try to comb it out.. It worked on my little girl ,, you could try it and see if it will.. you don't have to buy these I just thought I would enclose a link to what I am talking about..

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/...=4583657825142178&utm_content=Low Value Terms

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will she let you touch them?
I have had to do it in the past with my Babylove, I would take a pair of thinning sheers and kind of slowly notch into the mat. The scissors have teeth and a flat blade. They wont make her bald but it will thin out the matt to maybe where you can get in there off and on and try to comb it out.. It worked on my little girl ,, you could try it and see if it will.. you don't have to buy these I just thought I would enclose a link to what I am talking about..

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/tough1-thinning-shears/E040170/?&adlclid=1cd15f500a5313198fe03ada9c65fa94&srccode=GPSLTB&msclkid=1cd15f500a5313198fe03ada9c65fa94&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=[ADL] [Shopping] [PLA] Low Value Terms - eCPC&utm_term=4583657825142178&utm_content=Low Value Terms
It's not much a fight but she plops down usually I'm thinking cutting them might be the best option but a bit worried I'll cut down to the skin too much. A comb feels like the safer option. Maybe spraying the comb lightly wet and slowly working at it.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not much a fight but she plops down usually I'm thinking cutting them might be the best option but a bit worried I'll cut down to the skin too much. A comb feels like the safer option. Maybe spraying the comb lightly wet and slowly working at it.
The notching tool you don't have to go all the way down, you just notch a little at a time and work the knot out.. It wont make her bald it just gets into the matted fur..

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have photos of the mats? If they're very tight having a groomer clip them might be the safest option.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have photos of the mats? If they're very tight having a groomer clip them might be the safest option.
If you are more comfortable with a groomer doing it then that's the way you should go. The Kitty will know you are anxious and nervous and that will not help. Nothing wrong with taking her to the groomers 🤗🤗🤗