matted hair

rickm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is not the best groomer. Because of that he has matted hair that is so close to the skin that I can't comb it out. The only way to get them out is to cut them. He has so many that it would be better to shave him. Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

dottiemaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get him shaved and start from scratch - once the fur starts growing back in, brush him regularly to prevent the mats from coming back. Depending on how quickly the matts start to form you can decide how often to brush him every 3rd day, every other day, every day..whatever it takes!)

If the matts are that bad now though, best to get him shaved and be done with it. The matts will pull at his skin and trap dirt and dander and could cause itchiness, and general discomfort.

.maggie

clawz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it is really bad you will have to have the cat shaved to make sure all matts are removed and so the air can get to the skin.
If it is bad patches you can work on it a little at a time by teasing it out with finger and thumb then cutting, but, not near the skin with blunt ended scissors and repeating the teasing out with finger and thumb.
Once it is at a manageable condititon it is better to brush and comb the cat daily down to the roots of the hair to stop it happening again.
In spring it is good to use a slicker brush which helps to remove the dead hair at the time of the cast. This dead hair is often what causes most of the matting as well as hairballs for the cat.

clawz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it is really bad you will have to have the cat shaved to make sure all matts are removed and so the air can get to the skin.
If it is bad patches you can work on it a little at a time by teasing it out with finger and thumb then cutting, but, not near the skin with blunt ended scissors and repeating the teasing out with finger and thumb.
Once it is at a manageable condititon it is better to brush and comb the cat daily down to the roots of the hair to stop it happening again.
In spring it is good to use a slicker brush which helps to remove the dead hair at the time of the cast. This dead hair is often what causes most of the matting as well as hairballs for the cat.

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rickm

My cat is not the best groomer. Because of that he has matted hair that is so close to the skin that I can't comb it out. The only way to get them out is to cut them. He has so many that it would be better to shave him. Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you in advance!
If I were you I'd call your vet's office for advice before doing anything else.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it is pretty bad and in that case I'd take him in to be shaved. Please don't try to cut the mats out. Especially when they are so close to the skin you risk cutting through his skin. I'd go to a professional groomer or the vet.

brienne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt try cutting the hair if it is so close to the skin. I have a Maine Coon with very long chest hair, and he had gotten the worst mat EVER under his little armpits. And it was right up on his skin.

I tried once to cut out a mat, and it was the worst thing i could have done. My scissors nipped him! And i didn't think i was anywhere close to the skin, but the skin pulls up when you pull the hair up to cut it! It wasn't a huge nip, but it definately hurt him. I'll hear the confused, hurt yelp he let out for the rest of my life! It was like he couldnt understand why i did that to him- he looked me right in the eyes with a hurt and confused look and that killed me. (Needless to say, he really collected that day on catnip and treats!)

Something that DID work for me once is detangler. I rubbed some of my aveda detangler in the mat, and picked at the mat with a fine tooth comb. Eventually I was able to get about a centimeter of hair between the mat and his skin, so then i could safely snip. But this was no easy undertaking. My boyfriend and I took turns at picking the mat out for TWO HOURS! I was amazed by my cats patience with this, because he normally hates it, but he must have really wanted that mat out too.

If you think that can be done, it might save the cat a little stress from having to leave the house. But otherwise, you should let a pro shave him.