Matted fur, skittish cat

ilovemypersian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help my Persian . Has Matt's really bad on her tummy idk wat to do me n my wife are scared cuz wen we adopted her the last owners abused her so shes really skidish shes warmed up to me shes a daddys girl id lose my mind if anything would happen to her so im scared to Take her to a groome . Wat should i do

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd take the cat to a groomer and then be prepared to keep up on brushing every day after that as the coat grows back in.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HI! Diet plays large role in matted fur. What is your kitty eating? Weight?

I had a medium haired cat who was finally shaved at the matted area. The fur grew back and no matts.

Good Luck

kittymommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know Gabriel has recently started having an issue with matting around his bottom area.  I tried to give him a hygiene trim, but it's no go, he just won't let me do it.  It's hard when it's just me.  I also wonder if the material on the new window sill perch I got him has anything to do with him having matted furn there when he never did before.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Maybe I need to call my daughter to come over and trim him while I hold him?  These are bad mattings, like I can't comb them out I tried. 

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittymomy if you can get someone to help hold him it will really help. I can never comb mats out either when they occur. They unfortunately have to be cut out. It will be safer if you can get someone to hold him so you don't get to close to his skin. I trim the back end of my DLH Dax by myself and I kind of sit on top of him. Not with my weight, but I put him between my legs to help hold him down. I hope that makes sense. I don't want people to thing I am smooshing him. lol. 

GL