Mati, soon to be 18, very ill - not drinking

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's been vocalizing, yowling, hiding, crying, sitting near water not drinking - this all started on Saturday. Gave her a few things - charcoal, nux vomica, vitamins. Sunday she was ok - didn't eat much at all. Yesterday even less and in the evening she started yowling again, gave her sub q and a B12 shot. She vomited. Unfortunately we live in a very remote area with access to vets in the radius of one hour but I have no car and the bus that can take us to the nearest one is in the day. I called 3 vets - 2 who know her. We are going to the one closest in a few hours. Right now she is still hiding and whimpering if I call her. I don't know what it could be - if it's her kidneys - would that cause the yowling in pain? She was also staring off. I could not sleep from worry and my blood pressure was very high when I got up. She's all the family I have. After her, there will be no more. I have taken care of animals my entire life. I am 63. I am very sad and very tired. I need her to feel well. I don't know if it's her time. My mama cat passed almost 4 years ago and not a day goes by without my thinking of her. She and Mati were very close. I know Mati misses her as well. That's the situation right now. Will update when I can. Best wishes to all.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be that your kitty has stomatitis? What solution did you administer subQ? I would rub honey or Karo corn syrup on her gums and try to syringe a small amount of unflavored pedialyte into her cheek pouch. Monitor her closely to see if it seems to hurt her mouth. If she is tolerating the pedialyte, continue to administer about 1/4 teaspoon every 15-20 minutes, in case she is suffering from nausea. That will buy her some time by keeping her blood sugar and electrolytes up. Does she seem to be having any symptoms of an UTI or blockages?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could it be that your kitty has stomatitis? What solution did you administer subQ? I would rub honey or Karo corn syrup on her gums and try to syringe a small amount of unflavored pedialyte into her cheek pouch. Monitor her closely to see if it seems to hurt her mouth. If she is tolerating the pedialyte, continue to administer about 1/4 teaspoon every 15-20 minutes, in case she is suffering from nausea. That will buy her some time by keeping her blood sugar and electrolytes up. Does she seem to be having any symptoms of an UTI or blockages?
Stomatitis as far as I know manifests with red gums. I don't think it is that. The solution was Ringer's. Always Ringer's. She is urinating as per her box. If I even touch her she cries. I mean actual crying. I don't want to cause her more pain. Will see within the next hour if I can manage some electrolytes. I have no pedialyte - just honey/spirulina and other natural minerals. Was thinking it could be pancreatitis because of the pain/food/nausea aspect - but there is no yellowing of eyes.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would avoid spirulina at this point because it can cause pain and nausea if there's something going on with the g.i. or the urinary tract. If you have slippery elm, red raspberry leaf or marshmallow root, you can ask your vet about giving a tea. I found this recipe for homemade pedialyte in another thread (I use pink/Himalayan salt).
Pedialtye

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would avoid spirulina at this point because it can cause pain and nausea if there's something going on with the g.i. or the urinary tract. If you have slippery elm, red raspberry leaf or marshmallow root, you can ask your vet about giving a tea. I found this recipe for homemade pedialyte in another thread (I use pink/Himalayan salt).
Pedialtye
I did give her also slippery elm. But we're back from vet - am posting a whole new thread with her blood results - she is severely anemic and vet couldn't say the cause other than *age*.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am glad that you have an answer. Did the vet give Mati anything to make her feel more comfortable? At her advanced years, there are likely discomforts that we can't discover - I know from having 90-100yo people in my life that advanced age has nonspecific aches and pains. Your instincts were spot on when you gave her the B12 - good job!!

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am glad that you have an answer. Did the vet give Mati anything to make her feel more comfortable? At her advanced years, there are likely discomforts that we can't discover - I know from having 90-100yo people in my life that advanced age has nonspecific aches and pains. Your instincts were spot on when you gave her the B12 - good job!!
Thank you for noticing :) <3 I've been watching her like a hawk for months now. Every little nuance and I'm like - what could this be and how can I help. The vet did give iron with amino supplement to be given daily and a paste with minerals and vitamins. Also the subQ which I started anyway and he did tell me about the appetite stimulant - Mitzro something which is a compound that is rubbed on the ear. Well, I freaked at that because the last time I used a topical that's absorbed was with my beloved ChiChi who was dx'd - wrongly or not idk with Hyperthyroidism and I administed medication to her via the same route and she passed in a terrible way. Lethal stuff - I am steering away from compound medications and the least amount I use, the better for all. I am looking for a natural alternative that can stimulate her appetite. It's interesting how no one mentions side effects from these substances. Mati is a blessing. In our house age is never an issue :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read about Chichi's tragedy. You could ask a holistic vet about trying ginger or catnip tea to stimulate appetite. Marshmallow root and red raspberry might be other considerations.

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much.