Mat on butt

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
My shorthair cat has a small mat right under her anus. I think it's from when she was having some.loose stools. I have been trying persistently to get it out with warm wet wipes but it hasn't done anything and she won't tolerate me fiddling back there very long. I would like to cut it out but in order to do that I need to hold the mat and she won't sit still. Problem is she hated being held and gets nasty. Is there anything cream wise or gel wise that is okay to use on cats that I can put on it that might loosen it up enough to use a wipe on it? I have been working on this for over a month with no success and she keeps scooting her butt because I think it bothers her. A groomer is out of the question as she has to be drugged to go to the vet because she gets so upset. Thanks

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You might try olive oil to soften it. Then use a comb to help break up the matt instead of wiping it with a cloth.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have anyone who could possibly help dispense treats (e.g., puree treat like churu or nulo) while you work back there?

Edit: wet q-tips have worked well for me -- I just drop a couple into a bowl of water and brush at the hair/poop like a paintbrush. It takes a little more time but it is effective in wearing away the poo. It also requires a good dozen or more q-tips.

Last edited: