Mastitis Care

DHall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Miss Maggie has a case of mastitis. Luckily the three kittens are just old enough for some solids, because she won’t feed them. She and I went to the vet today (fun during quarantine here in Spain), got examined and some shots. I was sent home with Maggie, a couple of medications and instructions. Here’s where I need help.

The mastitis is just a large lump. No abscess or anything. The vet told me that it is ideal if the lump should open and drain, but it’s okay if it doesn’t as long as the medication helps it go down. Now, if it does open and drain, I need to clean it out and I have the medical supplies to do so. However, I’m having trouble finding any information on the actual PHYSICAL aspects of doing any cleaning. Online sources just say to take the cat to the vet. My vet tells me I should do it. I don’t mind doing it and Maggie trusts me (I am humbled by her trust).

Anyway, can anyone give me some pointers or point me to a site that might have pictures or video?

Oh, and before I forget ... the vet says I should isolate her away from her kitten so they don’t cause her pain, but all the online sources say they should continue to feed if they want and if she will let them. Any advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
(I am humbled by her trust).
Bless your heart :hearthrob:

the vet says I should isolate her away from her kitten so they don’t cause her pain, but all the online sources say they should continue to feed if they want and if she will let them. Any advice?
Hi! I think in this situation, go with what mama cat wants regarding feeding, but if she's still cleaning them I personally would leave them together.

This article talks about hand-milking;
Mastitis in Cats

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not knowing what instructions your vet provided you regarding cleaning should it open up, I don't want to contradict he/her but when my cat had an abscess we used a diluted (0.025%) chlorhexidine solution in a syringe (no needle) to flush the wound (even carefully squirting inside the "pocket"). Then we dried the area and applied an antibiotic ointment. We did this 2x a day initially and then 1x a day until healed.

Also, I would be nervous about the kittens nursing as depending on the medications given to treat the mastitis, the drugs may concentrate within the milk.

Good luck and wish you and your kitty well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DHall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I think in this situation, go with what mama cat wants regarding feeding, but if she's still cleaning them I personally would leave them together.
We have them in separate rooms, but just let them visit because Maggie was crying for them. She is cleaning them, and even wants them to nurse, but then pulls away once they get latched on. I think we will do this for at least the next 24 hours to see how they all do. I’d much prefer to leave them together, but I’d hate for the babies to get sick if the lump opens up and I don’t clean it up quickly enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DHall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not knowing what instructions your vet provided you regarding cleaning should it open up, I don't want to contradict he/her but when my cat had an abscess we used a diluted (0.025%) chlorhexidine solution in a syringe (no needle) to flush the wound (even carefully squirting inside the "pocket"). Then we dried the area and applied an antibiotic ointment. We did this 2x a day initially and then 1x a day until healed.

Also, I would be nervous about the kittens nursing as depending on the medications given to treat the mastitis, the drugs may concentrate within the milk.

Good luck and wish you and your kitty well!
She told me an iodine or betadine mix with water and mimicked wiping it out, followed by Neosporin ... only if there is no further ooze. However, I’m not sure if I should open up the pocket more, what type of cloth to use, etc. I’m more concerned with the mechanics of doing it. I know it’s going to hurt her, but I don’t want my actions to be more painful than they need to be.

According to online resources, the kittens getting the antibiotics isn’t a problem. I’m more worried about the infection inside Maggie. So, I’m leaning more towards keeping them separated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww, poor maggie - I hope the meds start working for her fast!

Oh, by the way, how well are the kittens eating? It might be worth continuing to weigh them to see whether or not you'd need to supplement feed, or add some kmr, that sort of thing.

Is your vet available - could you email or call to see what they had in mind regarding how to clean/what to do, if they intend you to hand milk that nipple, or simply wipe off any ooze (a soft lint free cloth?)?