Master Cat Groomer came today.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, she is Japanese. We had been conversing via e-mail since the earthquake and tsunami regarding her family. They are all in Tokyo, and all OK. Today she said that there are power outages, off and on, and some food shortages. She has lived in the U.S. a long time, but grew up in Japan. She never imagined that such a bad natural disaster would happen.

We had met at that shelter where we both volunteer, last spring. At that time, the only long haired cat I had was Ariel. Back then I told the groomer, Masako, about how difficult Ariel is. I told her that the shelter staff had to give her anesthesia (gas) to groom her - usually shaving at that point (lion cut - so cute!). Masako said then that, "We never have to do that." She is one of only about 5 master cat groomers in Illinois. There is an association you can Google if you are interested in finding out about them.

I had isolated Harlow and Ariel in the main part of the house. Masako had told me she works in the bathroom. Ariel and Harlow were pretty wary by the time she got here, because they knew something was up as so much of the house was closed off to them. However, my basement is accessed by a stairway off the kitchen and mudroom and there is no door there. I had put up Tonya's baby gate, which is high, and another solid baby gate on top of that in case the cats should try to jump over. The three black cats were in the basement or closed in a room. Well Harlow completely freaked when he saw Masako. She did groom him several times at the shelter - even having to shave him once (another adorable lion cut). I don't know if he remembered, or what, but he panicked. The lower baby gate has bars and he managed to squeeze himself between two bars - only a 2.5" opening. I never would have thought he would have fit through that space. He weighs over 12 lbs., and has a lot of fluff.

So, that left Ariel upstairs. By this time she was yowling pretty seriously. Somehow we managed to steer her to the bathroom and Masako went in there with Ariel and all her paraphernalia. I was outside the door, ready to bring bandages and hydrogen peroxide for Masako (not needed and later she said she never gets scratched or bitten). There was plaintive yowling for a while, but then it got quiet. All I wanted was a few big mats from the back of Ariel's legs (her "pantaloons"
) cut off. And also I wanted her checked for other mats in places Ariel doesn't let me touch, like underneath.

After about 10 minutes, Masako called me in and I saw she had a cloth muzzle, fastened with velcro around Ariel's face. Masako wanted to know if anything else needed to be done. There was nothing else, so we let her go free. She hid under the sideboard for about 40 minutes, but now she is fine. Masako thought Ariel was no problem, and said if I need help again to get her into a carrier (like I did when Ariel had to go to the vet), to just give her a call.

That left Harlow to deal with. After going around in circles for a while with him in the basement, Masko came down and we managed to herd him upstairs. Finally we were able to get him confined to the bathroom, by our further acting like Border Collies. He was very quiet. When she called me in when he was done, she had me feel all over to make sure all the mats were gone. She took an awful lot of hair off him. She took it all with her because she said it is used for human cat allergy research. I'm glad Ariel and Harlow did their part for that cause today.

Harlow didn't have to be muzzled. Masako remembered him well. In fact I remember talking to her about him, maybe 3 months before I took him home. Masako calls him "Daddy-o," his shelter name, which is just fine by me as it is a cute name and is really his middle name. She said several times today (as we are chasing him about) that Daddy-o was always such a good boy when she groomed him in the past (and he is a very good and loving cat, just today he was uncooperative because he was upset). She commented on how beautiful he is, and his really lovely coat. She said his coat is not greasy at all, which surprised her. She said a bath would be good, but not really necessary today. Next time!

So, I am very satisfied and relieved that it went as well as it did. Next time I'll have another of the solid baby gates that I can stack one on top of another so no escapes to the basement are possible (I hope). I wanted those mats off my cats so they are comfortable and no sores develop.

And, Masako hardly charged me! - just gas money. She said she didn't want to charge this time because she was just so happy to see Daddy-o again and that he has a good home. I was floored, and said she has to charge me much more next time.

And Harlow Daddy-o has already forgiven me.

Robin

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is awesome! It is really hard to find a good cat groomer. I was in the grooming industry for 8 years and I only did very basic cat grooming: nails, brushout, some de-matting and sanitary clips. I never did any shaving because I was too afraid I'd hurt one. Their skin can rip open with the tiniest of nicks. I groom my own cats at home now but I still won't do any haircuts on them. I just bathe, brush and nails.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently there's a big demand. She said she's not getting a day off this month.

Robin

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow what a day you had with Ariel and Harlow (daddy-o
). Now they are all groomed and beautified
. Have they forgiven you
. I will google Illinois master groomers. Would like to have Masako's number just in case! She sounds very good. Great deal she gave you for this grooming visit

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was forgiven very quickly. Ariel let me pet her later yesterday. And Harlow Daddy-o was snuggling with me all evening and all night, as usual. One of the many endearing things about cats is, if they know you are the person looking out for their best interests, they know, and they don't hold against you the vet visits, or the terrible groomer lady. They don't hold grudges.

Masako is very dear. When we first met, at the shelter, we had this instant connection that happens, rarely, but once in a while with some people. We connected over the cats at the shelter, the long haired cats that she was there to help by grooming them, and I was there to socialize. She has fostered many of the long haired cats there. One, an old lady cat, Madison, now lives loose in the 3 rooms of the clinic of the shelter because she has CRF and is at the end of her life. The shelter vet is not going to let her end her life in a cage. Masako had her with her for 8 months last year. And there is Vincent, this really beautiful orange and white DLH who I have a very close relationship with. Vincent has a strong personality. A weak person cannot handle him. He is too dominant to live with other cats. He was loose on the floor at the shelter for a long time. But he has been confined to a cage for a long time now, because he is not nice to other cats. Masako took him home to give him a respite for a while, keeping him separate from her own cat, because of how he is. She only brought him back because of an URI that required medicine 3 times a day that she couldn't do well with her schedule. Vincent is a cat that I hold for a long time on my lap when I am there, often with our foreheads touching in contemplation of each other. If I didn't have other cats, he'd be home with me. I so wish his furever home people would come and find him.

So, Masako and I have a connection with these two cats, and others, and we talk about them. And she clearly liked Harlow-Daddy-o, and I knew that even before, long before, I had the idea of taking him home. I liked him too (obviously), so we bonded over him and other long-haired cat friends. One of the things about volunteering at a shelter that has long time cat residents, is that they become friends, the cats, and the people who know these cats and care about them. Masako is one of them. Since she hasn't been to the shelter in a while, I could fill her in yesterday about all our mutual cat friends.

So, yes, she is very special and I feel lucky to have found her.

Robin

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely couldn't agree more with you on that note
!! It is so hard to see the long term residents live their lives in the cat room at the shelter. It just breaks my heart
when I have to leave and go home and not take them with me. Your Vincent sounds like a beautiful cat. And I love orange/white boys. There is one cat at AHS who I am very, very close with. Her name is Sammie and she has one good eye and the other was surgically removed. She is about nine years old and I fear she will live her life out at the shelter. There are so many, I can't begin to list, as you know all to well. It is very hard what we do at the shelter and what we see and the sadness and suffering we witness. But, I just keep going back because they need me and they need you Robin, and they need more people like us. I am starting to cry now
so I must stop.

Anyway, Masako sounds like she goes above and beyond with taking home some of these long-term residents for a break from the shelter. And going to the shelter to groom cats, is just so very sweet and I am sure the cats appreciate her. Very kind, generous person for sure. It sounds like you are great friends too.

Lauren

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't you just love people who like your cats and take an interest in them as individuals?

One of the nice things about volunteering at my shelter is that so many people there know my cats so well and ask about them regularly. I just love to talk about my cats, and I am so pleased that these people - staff and volunteers - take an interest in them.

Like when I told one of the vet techs that Masako was coming to groom Harlow Daddy-o and maybe Ariel. The vet tech, Mary, and I were rolling our eyes about whether she could handle Ariel. But Mary said that Masako is so good at what she does, and she takes on all the hissy long-haired cats with no qualms. I'd witnessed that myself. I said, "But Masako has no fear of them, and they know it. I'm afraid of Ariel, and she knows that." Mary said, "Who isn't afraid of Ariel?!! That crazy cat!" We both laughed. Mary said the day I took Ariel home, over 15 months ago, that she was going to miss her. And Mary asks how she is doing about once a month. And Tonya's former foster father works there and he always wants to know about her. And Claudio was the longest resident there when I took him home over 3 years ago. Several staff members ask about him every so often.

It makes me proud that so many people still care about my furkids.

Robin

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
who isn't afraid of Ariel?? How funny! I would probably love and respect Ariel for who she is. I love a cat with some "crazy" in them, it makes it that much more rewarding when you can reach them on their level and connect!! How nice that people at the shelter still ask about your cats and remember them.
I guess Ariel is one that is hard to forget
and people want to make sure you are still surviving with "that crazy cat"
what a pretty name though.