MASSIVE hairball, regurgitation of food

Georgina887

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
Different cat to who I last posted about but my cat Tiggy is usually a great eater not had many issues with her at all in the 7 years I’ve had her. This morning I went into her room and there was the biggest furball I have ever seen and all her food from the night before regurgitated all over the floor. The furball was like a giant sausage. Anyway I fed her a normal amount this morning and she regurgitated her food again almost immediately. So I left it an hour and then I gave her a small portion just see if she could keep it down and she could but I’m still a little worried. Does anyone have experience of this? I am wondering if the hairball just upset her stomach or something.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen some pretty big hairballs and that one sounds like the last one my older cat brought up. It concerned me enough to make an appointment with the vet.

Being as your girl is still regurgitating it's possible there are more in her and also possible there could be an obstruction. I personally would bring my cat in to be looked at. Better safe than sorry.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's very possible she was irritated by that hairball, or that there is even another one in there. I would continue to feed smaller meals more often for a day or two to see how she does. If she can't keep any of the food down, I would contact the Vet. In the meantime, you might try giving her some hairball gel to help with them. I give mine Vet's Best Hairball tablets daily. It's not a gel, but rather a treat If used daily, it does prevent hairball throwups. Also, regular brushing helps immensely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgina887

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's very possible she was irritated by that hairball, or that there is even another one in there. I would continue to feed smaller meals more often for a day or two to see how she does. If she can't keep any of the food down, I would contact the Vet. In the meantime, you might try giving her some hairball gel to help with them. I give mine Vet's Best Hairball tablets daily. It's not a gel, but rather a treat If used daily, it does prevent hairball throwups. Also, regular brushing helps immensely.
She’s had two small meals now and kept both down ok. She has a great appetite still and seems fine.

I’m thinking that she regurgitated her food before the hairball, then threw up the hairball and it irritated her tummy a bit. Thinking about it, last night she was a bit hesitant to eat her dinner before I went to bed. Maybe it was the hairball. She’s really food motivated so it was unusual for her to not be gobbling down her dinner.

I will keep an eye on her throughout today but given she’s kept down two small meals I’m a little less worried.