Massage

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a massage before, but this year I think I would like one for my birthday. I've already picked a place (not a chain), and I think I'll get a hot stone massage. I've noticed that heat helps my back and joint pain. I've also read that stone massage is good for back injuries like mine.

Has anyone here gotten a massage? I'm excited, but also anxious since this will be my first one.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went once or twice a month for well over a year. I got deep tissue massages. I have had issues with back spasms for many years and I had one that was particularly bad which is how I got started with it. They did help and are very relaxing. If you are going to someone who owns the business it wouldn't be an issue but tipping is different for massages. I forget what it is now but when I googled it I found out I had been undertipping a bit, I was kind of embarrassed by that.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The chiropractic place I go to has massages, but I haven't had one. My husband did, he said it was okay but didn't want to go back for another one. He has a problem with his neck and should and it goes down into his arm. It did help for a bit, but not long.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Massages are just creepy to me :fear: I've had a spot on my back massaged as part of physical therapy and that was a bit uncomfortable to me and as far as I will go for a stranger touching me.

I know people who do occasional spa packages that include massages and all that and they really like it.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I've had them...that's also what I do for a living. Although my focus is on deep tissue and therapy. A hot stone massage can feel nice if you like heat but it's primarily for relaxation, and will be only temporary relief for any chronic issues. I do use stones during some of my treatments but it's more one or two small stones to dig at stubborn areas that need a little extra oomph to release. I don't use them for a whole body treatment. I'm actually not that great working with them on that scale (not that I practice because I hate working with them). But I'm also terrified of dropping them on my client! HaHa.
I prefer to basically get beat up when I get my massages. I want all the tension, adhesions, "knots" and what not worked out.
Because it's my wheelhouse, I'm not ever nervous about getting them...and quite enjoy it...well...sort of...mine usually hurt, but I feel better after a day or so.
One thing I will say to anyone who's had them but did not enjoy it. Don't get discouraged...sometimes you just need to find the right "fit" for you. Massage Therapy although it's "therapy" is still very intimate, so you do need to "mesh" with your therapist. Also, every single therapist has a different approach and technique. We're all taught the same thing...but how we "apply" those techniques will feel different from person to person.
I'm not everyone's cup of tea, and I don't get insulted if they choose to continue treatment with another therapist, just like I've had people say..."OMG! that was the best ever! and I've seen a lot of therapists!"...and not to toot my own horn...but it's mostly the latter! LOL!
Now, if overall you just don't like to be touched...I hope you find something else that helps your aches and pains.🙂

I forget what it is now but when I googled it I found out I had been undertipping a bit, I was kind of embarrassed by that.
Tipping is something that is "discouraged" for us as we are a regulated health profession...but that's if you go to someone who is registered. Some people insist on leaving a tip, but it's definitely not something we expect nor advertise as proper protocol. Our standards are governed by the health care act and our regulatory body...which I don't think is a thing in the US.

It did help for a bit, but not long.
Massage is not a one and done type thing. It requires (usually several) treatments for longer lasing results. But it also requires the client to participate as well if you want faster and more permanent results. Stretches and exercises to help "undo" the improper body mechanics that resulted in the imbalanced muscles to begin with.
I've seen it many times where someone said.. "I had a massage, but I only helped for like a few days..." so they gave up on it thinking it didn't "work". You gotta think....it took years to develop the chronic issues most people have...it ain't goin' anywhere with one massage.🙂

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
True massage therapy is licensed and requires taking an accredited course before taking the licensing exam, at least in Ohio.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem I did consider deep tissue, but a friend who's familiar with my back issues told me that it can feel really rough if you're not accustomed to it, and that hot stones would be better.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did consider deep tissue, but a friend who's familiar with my back issues told me that it can feel really rough if you're not accustomed to it, and that hot stones would be better.
That's great. Not trying to discourage the hot stone at all. Just wanted to give you some info to help with expectations of what could be achieved. If your goal is to ease overall tension and relax, hot stone is great choice and is quite soothing and feels really nice. I was lucky to be a practice dummy for one of my co-workers who was learning hot stone.
And your friend is right, although a therapeutic massage is always tailored to the clients needs and tolerance levels, you don't want to go right into the really deep stuff right off the hop.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin is a Physical Therapist who specializes in Mayofacial (deep tissue) release. She’s been doing it for nearly 25 years. I’m not generally one for getting massages, but there was a time when I was having a lot of back pain, to the point I thought I’d slipped a disk. She pinpointed it to my psoas and was able to work it out for me. She finished with instructions for some additional stretches at home, and now I know what to do when it acts up.

As I understand it, a general massage can be a bit different from therapeutic massage. A general “spa” massage for relaxation and stress relief is a nice treat. Therapeutic massage is for addressing specific issues. As mentioned, therapy takes more than just one session and also might include “homework” for the client. 😉

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love hot stone massages! It's actually the only one I can tolerate. Every other massage I've had hurt to the point of tears. I'm also too polite to tell them to stop, so I don't get anything else.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Massage is not a one and done type thing. It requires (usually several) treatments for longer lasing results. But it also requires the client to participate as well if you want faster and more permanent results. Stretches and exercises to help "undo" the improper body mechanics that resulted in the imbalanced muscles to begin with.
I've seen it many times where someone said.. "I had a massage, but I only helped for like a few days..." so they gave up on it thinking it didn't "work". You gotta think....it took years to develop the chronic issues most people have...it ain't goin' anywhere with one massage.🙂
Not everyone can afford to get ongoing massages.It is a luxury.