Martha on her own

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, ive had Martha for about a week. I got of Preloved and she is a long hair tabby. She is getting spayed next week and ive also purchased pet insurance as a precaution.
She seems very happy and she has plenty of food,toys and most of all lots of love,strokes and cuddles.
The only thing is ,I work long hours on the weekend meaning I leave my flat at 7.30am and return home about midnight thirty. Sometimes I can do this shift two days straight so Martha's left alone for more than 12 hours.
In the week I less hours so hence why I pick my hours up on the weekend.
I feel really guilty about leaving Martha as I live in a top floor flat with no outdoor access. But there are 4 big rooms where she can go into, she has plenty of food and water and lots of toys to play with so Im doing my best to keep her happy and entertained. I spoke to the cats protection and they said that she'll be fine and as long as she has toys,food and water she'll be fine as long as I make up for it when im home . Which I do.
The cats protection said I don't need to feel guilty as A,at least she isnt in a small pen and B , i have to work.
Anyway I just want martha to be happy and feel loved and special.
Have any members got any advice on how I can make her content whdn shes left alone.
Many thanks
David

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A window perch or cat tree in a window will provide hours of entertainment especially if you can put a bird feeder outside that window. A feeder like this is inexpensive and easy:

When you are home, be sure that you and Martha have an interactive play session together. It helps build your bond and will help Martha get her energy out. Wand toys like this are great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYM5SWK/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

Also, make sure Martha has a scratching post!

Thank you for giving Martha a loving, wonderful home [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
You might try leaving on a TV or radio while you're gone.  Here's a fun thread about how many of our members' cats like to 'watch' TV.  
[thread="312509"]How Many Cats Enjoy Watching Tv  [/thread]

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are fine if left alone while you are at work or school
Just leave out plenty of safe toys, water, maybe some food. If you can, try to cat-proof your home as much as possible to prevent any injuries or worse: put the toilet lid down, secure trash can lids, keep all medicines and household cleaners in a secure cabinet, etc. If you're really worried, have a neighbor check in on the cat on the days when you won't be home for more than 12 hours. The neighbor can add more food to the bowl if needed.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She will be fine in the house by herself! Cats are naturally pretty independent creatures and as long as she has plenty of things to entertain herself with, she will be content and happy. Of course she will be even happier when you're home, she won't be upset that you have to do your thing too.
I'm in college and often have to leave my girl at home alone and I've never had any problems with it. She enjoys having the place to herself in my opinion.
Best wishes and I hope everything works out.