Marshmallow root for UTI

JenLup20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Winnie 3 yr old Ragdoll, has a uti and can't see the vet for another 6 days ;(, what is the dosage for Marshmallow Root and in what form works best?
A million Thanks and have a SAFE holiday weekend!!!!
JenLup20

Last edited by a moderator:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are sure that your cat has a UTI, be cautious about waiting to see the vet for almost a week. Watch for signs of distress which might indicate that the ER is needed. Marshmallow root is used to soothe bladder pain, but is not an antibiotic per se.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Winnie 3 yr old Ragdoll, has a uti and can't see the vet for another 6 days ;(, what is the dosage for the Marshmallow Root and in what form works best?
How did you determine your cat has a UTI if not seen by the vet? At home test strips - which are not that terribly accurate? Straining to pee, blood in the urine, or???

As noted above, no home remedy will eradicate an existing infection. Marshmallow root, and all the others, are to promote bladder health in the hopes of preventing an infection.

If you can free catch urine, or use one of the urine kits with non-absorbable crystals, you can collect urine to take to a vet and they can check it without an appt.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: yikes - 6 days! in some areas, vet appointments are almost impossible to get in less than 3-7 days unless you pay an exorbitant cash fee up front. There is such a dearth of veterinarians nowadays and vet school is so expensive, UTIs can quickly get out of control so be alert for blockages, pain, fever. But you asked about using marshmallow root....
Now, I am not a professional, just someone whose family has used herbs for generations. My preference is to simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, 1 teaspoon of dried herb in a cup of well water or filtered water. Because of the risk of plastic in bottled water, that is my 3rd choice; municipal tap water has harsh chemicals that can be hard on the kidneys and bladder. I give about 1/8 teaspoon via syringe and observe for 15-20 minutes to ensure the kitty does okay, Most cats don't mind the taste but often don't like being syringed. A couple of blueberries can be added, preferably frozen then thawed - some vets and urologists say that cranberry can be hard on the kidneys, if you use a bottled tincture, be sure that it doesn't have alcohol which is used as a preservative. If my cat is okay with a tiny bit, I give a 5ml syringeful and check to see if it helps. I do another dose in about 15 minutes and then wait an 1/2 - 1 hour and see if more is needed. If symptoms have subsided, I add about a tablespoon to pate with water for each regular meal. Your best bet would be to ask a holistic vet. They may recommend cornsilk and D-Mannose.
Definitely make sure that the cat litter is unscented/fragrance free! Avoid exposure to Febreeze and other strong chemicals and scents. Here are a couple of articles that you might like:
Remedies for Cat Urinary Tract Infection.

Can Cats Eat Blueberries?.

Please keep us posted!