Marley scratching chairs

EmmaWilliam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! So my new kitten started scratching my armchairs. I tried training him but I think she's too young to catch up :/ He's 3 months old, btw. My mom gave me these armchairs and I can't afford to lose them. I saw some slipcovers on a great site and they said their covers are pet-friendly. Has anyone tried using slipcovers? Do they actually work? your feedback will be highly appreciated

He's too cute and I can't be mad
cutemarley.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... he's pawsitively adorable, so no wonder you can't be mad at him. :catlove:

I've never used slip covers, but I do currently have aluminum foil (yes the kitchen stuff) covering the top of my sofa where Ruby liked to scratch. It looks ridiculous, but it did stop her scratching. At least in that spot. :catman:

Here's the TCS article on How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture – TheCatSite Articles and 23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture – TheCatSite Articles might have some non-aluminum foil tips. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmaWilliam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww... he's pawsitively adorable, so no wonder you can't be mad at him. :catlove:

I've never used slip covers, but I do currently have aluminum foil (yes the kitchen stuff) covering the top of my sofa where Ruby liked to scratch. It looks ridiculous, but it did stop her scratching. At least in that spot. :catman:

Here's the TCS article on How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture – TheCatSite Articles and 23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture – TheCatSite Articles might have some non-aluminum foil tips. :)
thank you, Ruby! I'll try this

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Adorable little kitten!! Not sure if something like this (see link below) is mentioned in the above articles or not, but even if you would choose to use these protectors, trying to place cat scratching posts in front of the favorite scratching locations would be a good idea. It would hopefully end up in your kitten using the posts instead, so you could eventually get rid of the protectors. Also, another link below for cat scratching boards, should that prove to be a better option for some of the locations you are trying to protect.
Amazon.com : 10 Pcs Furniture Protectors from Cats, Clear Self-Adhesive Cat Scratch Deterrent, Couch Protector 4 Pack X-Large (18"L 12"W) + 4 Pack Large (18"L 9"W) + 2 Pack (18"L 6"W) Cat Repellent for Furniture, : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : Noodoky 3Pcs Cat Scratching Pads, Double-Sided Corrugated Horizontal Cat Scratcher Cardboard, Scratch Board : Pet Supplies

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have covered my own chairs with a flat bed sheet, used double sided tape and if it was the seat cushion put a metal cookie sheet on it. If all else fails, remove the chairs from the room. 😉 BTW, he's the cutest little guy so I can't blame you for not being mad. :redheartpump: What's his name?

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats need a lot of scratch outlets. Minish has 3 scratchers in the living room but my side of the sofa is in shreds. She decided it's great to claw near my knee to get the attention. In such cases, covering that part of the furniture and deterrence methods are essential.
But your kitten is young enough to learn proper behavior. Keep showing him the right places coupled with rewards. Training doesn't end when the cat understands. They need reinforcement and even then they try again every now and then, just in case. With patient training, hopefully, you won't need any covers in the future

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! So my new kitten started scratching my armchairs. I tried training him but I think she's too young to catch up :/ He's 3 months old, btw. My mom gave me these armchairs and I can't afford to lose them. I saw some slipcovers on a great site and they said their covers are pet-friendly. Has anyone tried using slipcovers? Do they actually work? your feedback will be highly appreciated

He's too cute and I can't be mad
View attachment 363544
Cats love to stretch and scratch their paws on mostly vertical slanted or flat. My scratchers are tall square shaped,verticle,and loungers. All corrugated cardboard. They do not like sisal