Marking Territory Or Showing Displeasure? Cat Peeing Around House

atticus2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 year old, Castle, is an indoor/outdoor cat. He has shown his displeasure with us keeping him in the house on occasion by peeing on clothing on the floor or in other box-shaped vessels for about a year. We have mitigated this problem, mostly, by keeping clothes off the floor and allowing him a romp outside once a day. He comes home in the afternoons/evenings, and used his box while inside.
We started watching a foster cat, Boomer, about two months ago, who Castle got a long with well. Seeing his ease around Boomer, we decided it was time to adopt again. (Castle's brother was hit by a car about a year ago, and we took some time to grieve.) Shortly after Boomer joined us, we adopted Lady, 3 years old, and Nymeria, 1 year old. Both girlies get along with Castle, and he is civil with them. They stay indoors, while Castle goes out to run the neighborhood (aka sleep under our deck, for the most part).
Recently, however, we have been finding cat pee all over the house in small, sticky puddles. The dreaded vacuum is a favorite target, as are chair legs, and the edge of our laundry basket and clothing on dressers. This week, every night that I came home, there was pee on the edge of the hamper. We suspect it to be Castle, because it happens when he's home, and he has the history. Last night, I was reading in bed, and he walked up to the dresser and peed. I picked him up and put in him in a clean box, which he hopped out of and meowed and walked away. Castle has continued to go outside, but seems to still be peeing in not his box. I haven't seen him use a litter box in a long time, and I assume that he's doing most of his business outside.
We have three Steralite containers as litter boxes (24in deep) that we keep clean, plus an additional litter box brought with Boomer (4 total boxes in the house). 1 box on the first floor, the other 3 three are in our basement, and all are used for #1 and #2.
Reading other posts about cats peeing in places other than a box, I know lots of these details help paint a picture of the situation. I'm not sure if Castle is unhappy with his new companions, or wanting to go outside more than he's currently allowed. I don't see any stress or anxiety in any of the cats in the house. Any insight how to get Castle back into a box while he's home, and whether or not this is a territory issues would be very helpful.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I haven't encountered this problem but wanted to post so that your question may get some attention. I do recall seeing similar posts where it has been suggested to first make sure that there isn't anything wrong medically. So a visit to the vet may be in order.

Hopefully you'll get some better suggestions soon!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You can usually tell by the cats position whether they are spraying or peeing. When peeing they squat. When they spray they are upright and squirt vertically on a surface and you can see their tail sort of flicking. Spraying would say it's more of a territorial issue, which would be my guess.