Mark on nose?

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
6DDC54FA-127B-42D0-9000-A495FD968429.jpeg
This mark appeared a few weeks back. About a week or two later, it scabbed over. I picked it off (it came off really easy). Fur grew thru it even.
A tiny bald spot appeared in a bit of the underlying skin. Now it looks like this. What is it?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
There could be a number of reasons - maybe food allergies, or parasites, even maybe allergy to a plastic food container if that is what your cat is using, or cat freckles. It is always wise to check with the vet. Does it seem to bother him?

Not all spots that appear can also be a cause of concern. However as I said, it is always best to get some expert advice.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Cats can get a sort of cat acne too. If you are using plastic dishes, switch to glass or stainless metal. If you can’t get a vet appointment right away, try texting or emailing the photo to the vet and following up with a call. Also, check around and make sure kitty is not sticking his nose somewhere that has something he can prick his nose on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does it seem to bother him?
Nope, he never even notices it. lol

:yeah: Cats can get a sort of cat acne too. If you are using plastic dishes, switch to glass or stainless metal. If you can’t get a vet appointment right away, try texting or emailing the photo to the vet and following up with a call. Also, check around and make sure kitty is not sticking his nose somewhere that has something he can prick his nose on.
We have 1 plastic bowl, but I usually give it to his brother cause he makes a mess with plates. Everything else, including water bowl, is ceramic. (I heard they don't like metal.)

The sticking his nose in things could be possible. He likes to get into shit. lol He broke one of our blinds trying to get behind it to look out the window. Perhaps it scratched his nose doing that again. You think it's a scar? It wasn't bleeding or anything though when I first noticed it. It started out small and got bigger. I thought he just got food on it at first.

He also had a bad URI shortly before it appeared. Like, nose blocked, breathing through mouth bad. I was concerned it might be related somehow. Forgot to mention that in OP.

EDIT:
I looked up feline acne. Had to find the milder photos cause most of them were horrifying! Poor babies!
He does get a small black bump or two on occasion under his chin. Always wondered what it was.

This is odd though cause it's on the bridge of the nose, not the chin.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He or his brother may have put a claw there. If he was congested he really might have been rubbing at his nose. Cats do get into things! Lol I can’t really say for sure but check well to make sure nothing is imbedded like a claw tip. I got rid of my blinds because the cats shredded them and even though I kept the cord tied up high, one of them managed to get it down and I knew it was just a matter of time before one of them got caught in it. Kitties! Lol If the spot is staying there and with you mentioning the fur loss around it, I would get the vet to take a look. Better to be cautious.

Hmmm. Speaking of nosey cats. I have one here. Someone wants to see your kitty! Please do keep us updated.
F0B02101-AC32-46A9-A30A-F29746C0B40B.jpeg

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hah, he looks just like my Cobalt! They could be brothers.

We do have a vet appointment on Thursday. Just wanted to get thoughts on it beforehand.

Thanks!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi jahzara !

To me, it sounds like one form of a condition called (are you ready for a mouthful ? :lol:) Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex - the plaque 'type'. There is a relationship to some 'acne' types in that they are immune-related. Anyway, here's a reliable coverage for you: EGC - veterinarypartner.com.

Ditching the plastic would be a great starting point, though.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet said it was wound related. No fungus and there is hyperpigmentation of the skin, which is indicative of scarring. She said it should lighten up over time.

She also concurred getting rid of plastic bowls and giving new bowls every feeding will help with the little bit of acne he gets on his chin from time to time.