Manx Kitten?

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This kitty has a stubby little tail. Maybe 1 inch? It's bent in almost a circle and you can't straighten it. She's definitely a long hair. More poofy looking than Japanese Bobtails. What do you guys think? We've named her Wakanda Nightfury :blackcat:
20180623_112740.jpg 20180623_112809.jpg 20180623_163904.jpg 20180623_163923.jpg 20180623_163934.jpg
Oh also do you think the white hairs on her will go away or stay? Also I know she probably isnt a purebred. Just wondering if she has some in her no matter how little. Or maybe it's just the gene that randomly happened to be that way.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s an adorable little thing! I’d say probably not a Manx mix- they have more rounded features overall, and a more circular head. I think there’s more likely some American Bobtail in her. It’s also possible that her tail was broken in utero. Do you know if any of her siblings had bobbed tails?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s an adorable little thing! I’d say probably not a Manx mix- they have more rounded features overall, and a more circular head. I think there’s more likely some American Bobtail in her. It’s also possible that her tail was broken in utero. Do you know if any of her siblings had bobbed tails?
Yes! One of the other littermates had a bobbed tail. The other black kitten. Oh also neither of the parents were longhair, but 3 of the kittens are. Both blacks and the grey one. Mom is a grey cat with a full tail. Dad is a black cat with a bob. imagejpeg_0.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
They’re adorable babies! Do you have a picture of dad?

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They’re adorable babies! Do you have a picture of dad?
Unfortunately no. The person I got her from only has pictures of her mom. Both the parents are outdoor cats that don't actually belong to her. Though the mom cat basically does as she used to belong to a neighbor who moved away and now the lady is taking care of her.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are multiple different known genes for short / kinked / bobbed tails in cats, which leads me to suspect it is a type of mutation that spontaneously occurs relatively frequently. I have even seen a dominant kinked / short tail mutation appear spontaneously in a line of Chartreux. With your kitten and her father and littermate, you may be seeing the same mutation that appears in a breed such as the American Bobtail, or it may be a different mutation that appeared randomly in the population and is not associated with any particular breed.

stubbytail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have an American Bobtail and one characteristic is bends and kinks on the end of the tail. Some have what you're describing: a fishhook shape at the end of the tail. The breeder we got ours from had a littermate like that which the breeder was purposefully breeding for.

Don't try to straighten it! It's unique, and even though may not be a pure breed, may have American Bobtail background and can probably happen in any short tailed cat.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I read the Manx short/no tail gene is dominant and the American bobtail short tail gene is recessive. That does not mean kittens withonly one bobtailed parent must be Manxes.

American bobrail, Japanese bobtail, and Pixie-bob cats are all shorthairs. Since we are looking at longhaired kittens, they obviously are not purebreds.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have an American Bobtail and one characteristic is bends and kinks on the end of the tail. Some have what you're describing: a fishhook shape at the end of the tail. The breeder we got ours from had a littermate like that which the breeder was purposefully breeding for.

Don't try to straighten it! It's unique, and even though may not be a pure breed, may have American Bobtail background and can probably happen in any short tailed cat.
Oh no I'm not trying to straighten it out! It was just an observation I made! We love her just the way she is!!

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read the Manx short/no tail gene is dominant and the American bobtail short tail gene is recessive. That does not mean kittens withonly one bobtailed parent must be Manxes.

American bobrail, Japanese bobtail, and Pixie-bob cats are all shorthairs. Since we are looking at longhaired kittens, they obviously are not purebreds.
Huh, I guess it will remain a mystery. Manxes do come in longhair though, but they're called cymric for whatever reason. Shes definitely a mix. Whatever she is she's the sweetest kitten and I can't wait to see the beautiful cat she grows into :D

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I purrsonally don't like the name Cymric for longhaired Manxes. The coat lengths, believe it or not, can be found in the same litter.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
So longhaired Manxes definintely should not have a different name.

On topic, the kittens are just very cute moggies.