Manx Deformity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had kittens, two of them. The father of the kittens is a manx. One kitten died of FKS or whatever. But the other is still alive. His name is Lil Dude, and he is deformed. His nose is turned up like a pig's, he has no tail, his abdomen is abornmally large and swollen, and his back two legs are a tangled and paralyzed mess. They look like they've been stepped on and flattened and he drags them around everywhere. But that's not what I'm concerned with. His swollen abdomen is. I noticed that he wasn't pooping (he's almost a month old) and figured that was why his abdomen is swollen, so I started wiping his butt with a warm cloth. Fortunately, Lil Dude started to poop and his abdomen is no longer as firm and swollen, it's softer now. But..his butthole doesn't close? It's just a constantly opened square-ish looking whole. Does he not have the muscles to close it? Please help. I don't want Lil Dude to die but I have no clue what's wrong with him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
That seems to be what it is, because every time I pick him up, he pees on me. And no, he has not been to the vet, since I am a broke college student.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs vet care for chances of survival. Have you tried care credit?

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate to be giving excuses to everyone's help, but I live with my parents and they won't let me take him to the vet. I could never pay for it on my own and they wouldn't pay for it.

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, the reason I mention that is that I thought they might be able to help give you some good ideas on working with him and what issues he might have, since he sounds like a special needs kitty. Maybe some how knows your area might be able to help you find a low income/no income type clinic? It sounds encouraging that you were able to get him to eliminate.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no way around it; there is no help anyone can give you online with this issue. No home remedies or treatments. The little one needs to see a vet. I understand your situation but he needs a vet to see what is wrong and know what, if anything, can be done.

If you can't afford it, consider contacting a local rescue and seeing if they can help. Another option would be contacting local vets to see about payment options or see if any other family members can help.

Please also get both the parents spayed and neutered to prevent further litters.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Taking Lil Dude to the vet would be going against my parents, since they have repeatedly told me to just kill him. But I am a cat lover and it seems like I'm just gonna have to take him anyways. But how would I do that? Do I just walk in with Lil Dude and talk with the vet about payment options? I only make $55 a week and most of that is spent on gas, so if I did take him, I'd be paying it off for a while since veterinarians are so darn expensive.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be honest. Be open. Not all vets will work with you but you'll never know until you ask. If you start with the rescue, they may be able to direct you to a vet more willing to help.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'll try to get him to the vet ASAP! And if the first vet I see tells me that the only option is euthanization, should I see another vet before agreeing to have him euthanized?

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it would depend on how satisfied I was with the first vet's opinion (getting a second one). Something you might try for help with costs is looking for a manx rescue in your area?

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in a small town in Georgia. Everyone here hates cats. We only have one veterinarians office which is extremely small and overpriced, a humaine society that is rude and denies to help with costs (like discount prices for neutering and spaying a lot of cats), and a pound that only works with dogs. I doubt anyone here even knows what a Manx is.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends on what the vet says. Normally, yes a second opinion is a good idea when it comes to euthanizing. However, manx cats are known for serious deformities and if the vet is able to determine the kitten has deformities not fixable I wouldn't prolong it more than necessary.

Thank you for trying to get him help.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Lil Dude Lil Dude one thing you could try is a vet teaching hospital.

UGA College of Veterinary Medicine Veterinary Teaching Hospital Homepage

The students there might be interested in helping this kitten, because he is something they won't see every day. E-mail them the pictures and ask what they think can be done for him.

I'm sorry to say they may well suggest having the kitten PTS, but at least you will have tried to help him.

Please try to get your cats fixed before the mother becomes pregnant again. You don:t want to keep going through this.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Took Lil Dude to the vet and they told me that his anus did not form and that his quality of life would be terrible, so he was put down. Thank you all for your help.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of Lil Dude. Know that you did everything you could for him. :grouphug2:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry to read this sad news. We'll close the thread now out of respect for your loss. If you'd like to post a tribute to your little friend, we invite you to do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry.

When they are born with those kinds of deformities there's really nothing you can do.

RIP Lil Dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.