Manufacturers Sneaking Tuna Into other Flavors

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For a while my girl was on a tuna binge. She wasn't enthusiastic about any food unless it had tuna in it. So I immediately stopped feeding her tuna hoping she'd lose her taste for it. The ingredients in the Fancy Feast topper I was using listed "fish oil" as it's third ingredient, which I correctly assumed to be tuna, but it was either that or no wet food for the day, so I continued to feed it to her figuring it wasn't too much to feed occasionally.

I watch her seafood intake, but I like to give it to her as a treat, so I was happy to find a chicken and shrimp flavor she loved. I was feeding it for about a month until I happened to look at the label and there it was . . the second ingredient was tuna.

It's hard to avoid tuna in cat food. It seems they make so many flavors with tuna as an ingredient. So if you're trying to keep your cat off having too much tuna or seafood in general, make sure to check that ingredient list.

It seems Fancy Feast has changed the formula in to topper I was feeding. "FIsh oil" has been replaced by "natural tuna flavor". I'd like to think it's better for her than tuna, but since it's just a chemical, I'm not sure. Thoughts?

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep. You need to obsessively check the fine print ingredients because labels are so so misleading. They do this a lot with Tuna and Chicken. One of my babies is allergic to chicken so I always get excited when a canned food says something like “Turkey and Duck” because I’m always looking for new wet foods to try, and then boom, second ingredient on the back is chicken :eviltongue:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The bottom line is: if you have concerns with certain ingredients in cat food, be that tuna, gums, grains, legumes, certain proteins, etc. one must check the ingredient list and go from there. While it may look like something is being 'sneaked' in that really isn't the case, and if you find something of question based on your particular desires/needs, contact the company to ask for clarification or take it off your list.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes to checking labels. Biomehanika Biomehanika is so right about "obsessively," particularly since recipes change pretty frequently. There are lots of things we avoid -- fish, most gums, carbs, legumes, I'm sure there's something else! -- and even with just a few canned foods to watch, I still miss changes.