Managing senior kitty's early kidney disease, mild arrhythmia and moderate arthritis

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any experience dealing with this unfortunate trifecta of illnesses?

My cat is 13 and has recently been diagnosed with early kidney disease. She was always very small (6lbs) and has been gradually losing weight due to muscle atrophy because of her moderate arthritis.
We're struggling with figuring out -
1) how to get her to eat more of her kidney food than her regular diet. Since her kidney food is less nutritious but easier on the kidneys, she needs to eat a larger quantity of this food to maintain her weight. Unfortunately, she's never been food-driven so this has been a challenge. We sprinkly very small amounts of nutritional yeast to make the food more appetizing but she eats nowhere as much as she should.
2) How do we balance pain meds for arthritis vs. the potential damage that this can cause her kidneys? As of today, we haven't had to start any heart medication but that might change in the future.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't give pain meds unless there are symptoms of pain. If there are, then you have to weigh the quality of life against quantity. My cat had all that and other than a heated bed which helped his arthritis, kidney supplements we got on Amazon (liquid and mixed in treats), and half a Lasix pill for his enlarged heart, he lived at least 5-6 more years on what he wanted to eat. I now give DMG to my remaining three cats who have leukemia, LifeGold for cancer, and give it all every morning in Hartz Delectable Lickables in STEW, 1 pkg. divided amongst three cats. The stew is given too if they stop eating or their appetite decreases, they ALWAYS take at least a few licks of it and it keeps them going. You might try it. It is in-store at Walmart and Dollar General, I also order it from Amazon and Target, but they have a hard time keeping it in stock. I will pray for your little girl to have many more good years!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does she have to have pain meds for the arthritis? I believe supplements, such as what I give Feeby (16+ yo) are OK for CKD cats. I give her Glyco Flex Plus (glucosamine, chondroitin, green lipped mussels) - one chew tablet daily. She has been on them for about 2 years now, due to her limping. After confirming she has some arthritic joints, and placing her on Glyco, the limping has stopped other than occasionally right after she gets up from resting/being immobile for a bit. Feeby does not take any pain meds for her arthritis. Feeby also has some muscle mass & weight loss as well. Part of that can be attributed to the aging process.

As far as food - have you checked out this web site: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview (felinecrf.org? This particular section talks about what is important to pay attention to in terms of dietary needs, and might help you identify other foods that would serve your girl as well as - if not better than - the standard kidney foods. There is also another section on the web site that discusses arthritic supplements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't give pain meds unless there are symptoms of pain. If there are, then you have to weigh the quality of life against quantity. My cat had all that and other than a heated bed which helped his arthritis, kidney supplements we got on Amazon (liquid and mixed in treats), and half a Lasix pill for his enlarged heart, he lived at least 5-6 more years on what he wanted to eat. I now give DMG to my remaining three cats who have leukemia, LifeGold for cancer, and give it all every morning in Hartz Delectable Lickables in STEW, 1 pkg. divided amongst three cats. The stew is given too if they stop eating or their appetite decreases, they ALWAYS take at least a few licks of it and it keeps them going. You might try it. It is in-store at Walmart and Dollar General, I also order it from Amazon and Target, but they have a hard time keeping it in stock. I will pray for your little girl to have many more good years!
Thank you for the insight, and your prayers! :hearthrob:
Would you be willing to share what the liquid supplement is that you had success with? I've been giving her Vetriscience kidney supplements but she's very picky about chewy treats and only eats them half the time.

The Hartz stew has been my go-to as well. You're right, it is very hard to track it down.

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Does she have to have pain meds for the arthritis? I believe supplements, such as what I give Feeby (16+ yo) are OK for CKD cats. I give her Glyco Flex Plus (glucosamine, chondroitin, green lipped mussels) - one chew tablet daily. She has been on them for about 2 years now, due to her limping. After confirming she has some arthritic joints, and placing her on Glyco, the limping has stopped other than occasionally right after she gets up from resting/being immobile for a bit. Feeby does not take any pain meds for her arthritis. Feeby also has some muscle mass & weight loss as well. Part of that can be attributed to the aging process.

As far as food - have you checked out this web site: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview (felinecrf.org? This particular section talks about what is important to pay attention to in terms of dietary needs, and might help you identify other foods that would serve your girl as well as - if not better than - the standard kidney foods. There is also another section on the web site that discusses arthritic supplements.

Hi!
She is on occasional pain meds, we give her an NSAID about once a week.
She is also on supplements like Omega 3 and 6, and Cosequin (glucosamine). She also gets weekly injections of Adequan (glycosaminoglycan), which have helped her a bit.
I will try to find Glyco Flex Plus and see if that's a better option for her.

I have checked out Tanya's guide for CKD cats :)
I was able to find a food through her site that my cat is willing to eat without giving me sad eyes.
The challenge has been in getting her to eat a lot more than she would of her normal food, and keep her weight up.

There's a lot of conflicting information everywhere regarding what's a good amount of protein for a cat with early CKD.
The diet she is on now has reduced her protein by 50% and it's not helping with her muscle mass. I might supplement this with cooked egg whites if she likes it.

The vet has recommended that we start her on a transdermal appetite stimulant (Mirtazapine) but I'm concerned about over medicating her at this point :(

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
In addition to the nutritional yeast you’re trying her food, here are some other options for food “toppers” to entice her to eat:
  • FortiFlora — It’s a mediocre probiotic, in my opinion, but it’s very appealing to cats because it has animal digest as its first ingredient, the same thing that coats dry food. Most cats love the taste of it.
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
  • Crushed crumbles of dry food — There are some higher protein/lower carb/grain free brands such as Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein. I use this one the most because my cats (who are fed homemade food) are nuts about it.
  • Bonito flakes — Can be found at Asian markets or sometimes in the Asian food section of a large grocery store.
  • Freeze-dried treats or freeze-dried raw food — Crumble into dust or small pieces over food. I’ve used Pure Bites chicken treats and Northwest Naturals liver treats, but there are lots of choices. If you use Pure Bites, it’s actually less expensive to buy the dog treats and they’re the same thing. For freeze-dried raw, Stella & Chewy’s and Northwest Naturals may also work. Primal is another choice.
  • Pour a little water from tuna in water over food. Use no sodium added (I buy it at Trader Joe’s) as other kinds in water have veg. broth and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats. Also it shouldn't contain soy; check labels. I dilute the juice with more water, too. It’s more the smell than anything.
  • Baby food — Beechnut or Gerber Stage 2. You want a baby food that is a protein only although the Gerber contains cornstarch. It should have no onions or other additives. Please read labels carefully. My kitties like the Beechnut turkey.
  • Plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
I give my two 16-year-olds Cosequin. Their arthritis is so advanced that they’re now getting two a day. And Iris’s kidneys appear to be failing. She has a blood test on Thursday, but the vet has already said he’s not a fan of the prescription kidney food because so many cats hate it and it’s important to keep weight on her...as you know.

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In addition to the nutritional yeast you’re trying her food, here are some other options for food “toppers” to entice her to eat:
  • FortiFlora — It’s a mediocre probiotic, in my opinion, but it’s very appealing to cats because it has animal digest as its first ingredient, the same thing that coats dry food. Most cats love the taste of it.
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
  • Crushed crumbles of dry food — There are some higher protein/lower carb/grain free brands such as Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein. I use this one the most because my cats (who are fed homemade food) are nuts about it.
  • Bonito flakes — Can be found at Asian markets or sometimes in the Asian food section of a large grocery store.
  • Freeze-dried treats or freeze-dried raw food — Crumble into dust or small pieces over food. I’ve used Pure Bites chicken treats and Northwest Naturals liver treats, but there are lots of choices. If you use Pure Bites, it’s actually less expensive to buy the dog treats and they’re the same thing. For freeze-dried raw, Stella & Chewy’s and Northwest Naturals may also work. Primal is another choice.
  • Pour a little water from tuna in water over food. Use no sodium added (I buy it at Trader Joe’s) as other kinds in water have veg. broth and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats. Also it shouldn't contain soy; check labels. I dilute the juice with more water, too. It’s more the smell than anything.
  • Baby food — Beechnut or Gerber Stage 2. You want a baby food that is a protein only although the Gerber contains cornstarch. It should have no onions or other additives. Please read labels carefully. My kitties like the Beechnut turkey.
  • Plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
I give my two 16-year-olds Cosequin. Their arthritis is so advanced that they’re now getting two a day. And Iris’s kidneys appear to be failing. She has a blood test on Thursday, but the vet has already said he’s not a fan of the prescription kidney food because so many cats hate it and it’s important to keep weight on her...as you know.
Thank you!
I will try these suggestions - I've already ordered the Beechnut turkey :)
I might have to start her on the appetite stimulant if nothing works since she loses weight quickly.

I'm sorry about Iris. Hoping it's early stage. Kidney diet management is so very tricky.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was never able to get my old girl Checkers to eat her prescription food. I just tried to minimize the phosphorus in her foods by using the list on Tanys’s. Regardless, she got fluid therapy every night and she eventually died of old age at 19.

Towards the end she was having trouble walking sometimes because of pain in her hind quarters. I had some success with CBD oil for that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Pet Wellbeing, Kidney Gold. It is pricey at 37.00 for a bottle but you only give 1 drop for every two pounds of weight, so it lasts a LONG time. The Life Gold I am giving now for their leukemia lasts over three months and my cats weigh 12 lbs, 14 lbs and 16 lbs!

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was never able to get my old girl Checkers to eat her prescription food. I just tried to minimize the phosphorus in her foods by using the list on Tanys’s. Regardless, she got fluid therapy every night and she eventually died of old age at 19.

Towards the end she was having trouble walking sometimes because of pain in her hind quarters. I had some success with CBD oil for that.
Thank you for sharing!
Could I please ask how long did Checkers get by on the non-prescription food after being diagnosed with kidney disease?
Was reducing protein intake something you tried as well, or just limiting phosphorous?