Managing Idiopathic Cystitis?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had my kitty on Prozac for anxiety. It did help make him less anxious, but in the end it caused urinary retention. He ended up completely blocking. It was a very scary time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had my kitty on Prozac for anxiety. It did help make him less anxious, but in the end it caused urinary retention. He ended up completely blocking. It was a very scary time.
That's scary!

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy to report that she took the Uromaxx without any issues! I paired it as a "gravy" with some chicken shreds.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 2 of Uromaxx. We also tried Composure chews for the first time today, and she loved them!

She doesn't seem to be having as many issues today. Only noticed her grooming her crotch area once, and I couldn't tell if it was out of pain or if she was just cleaning. Hasn't gone to the bathroom as much as yesterday. So all good signs. :) If so, it's probably Metacam that's helping, but not sure.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: It's been a rollercoaster lately. She'll go a few days without symptoms, but then they'll come back again in full force for a couple weeks, until they go away again... on and on...

I'm still giving the Metacam daily. Not sure how much it's helping or not. She's also still getting Zylkene and Composure.

I haven't been able to give her Uromaxx, because she's decided she absolutely hates the taste and smell. But I bought some cornsilk and d-mannose online, and I'll try mixing those into her food instead.

She's having a few stressors lately... Last night, there was a fireworks show right across the street. She hid under the bed for an hour afterward.... And I'll be on a work trip all next week. I'm hoping she'll be alright while I'm gone. I'm going to up her Composure and Zylkene this week, to see if that helps.

Not sure if anyone will read any of my updates, just sharing in case it's useful to someone else :)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a FIC cat also, its quite common not that it helps us feel less anxious. I was given Metacam to give for a month but dont like using it. Mine was on mostly dry food because I couldnt find a wet he would eat much of. For the past 7 weeks he has been eating and loving Royal Canin Urinary SO meaty morsals in gravy and the last scan showed "significant" improvement. I dont know if it is the wet food only diet but nothing else has changed. I have cornsilk and d-mannose ready to use if needed instead of Metacam. It is a stressful time for you and being a litterbox lurker is no fun but its what we do for our kitties.Keep us updated.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what it is about the RC morsels in gravy but that is the one kidney food that my cat will eat. She was diagnosed with early CKD about 18 months ago and I went home with a few cans of several types courtesy of the vet. That is the one that she will eat and she really likes it. It is the kidney food rather than the SO but it is the morsels in gravy. She is still just on the prescription food and her numbers are still really good, just one a little out of range which is where she was a month after starting on the food.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat hates everything, I give him omega 3 fish oil aka omegease, he really hates it.. The first time he runs going crazy and many times after that...After 2 months no problem....But I give it to him while hes captive in his stroller...I only give him less the half the recommended dose, something is better then nothing

He gets cbd oil, he hates it, but tolerates it...

He gets uromaxx, he hated at first but takes it easily now

Cats dont like any meds given orally..To give up cause your cat says “no” is not for the benefit of his health...

Given .5ml orally on side of mouthtwice a day at the least, if not pay more vet bills and get more drugs that dont do squat

Also theres no way in hell he would eat any food tainted with uromaxx, cbd or fish oil

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat hates everything, I give him omega 3 fish oil aka omegease, he really hates it.. The first time he runs going crazy and many times after that...After 2 months no problem....But I give it to him while hes captive in his stroller...I only give him less the half the recommended dose, something is better then nothing

He gets cbd oil, he hates it, but tolerates it...

He gets uromaxx, he hated at first but takes it easily now

Cats dont like any meds given orally..To give up cause your cat says “no” is not for the benefit of his health...

Given .5ml orally on side of mouthtwice a day at the least, if not pay more vet bills and get more drugs that dont do squat

Also theres no way in hell he would eat any food tainted with uromaxx, cbd or fish oil
A bit harsh. I do force her to take the Metacam.

The problem with the Uromaxx is that she vomits it back up when I give it to her.

I consulted with my vet and she had no issues with giving the d-mannose and cornsilk individually, as opposed to Uromaxx. She's also been great about trying to help me source CBD oil, as well, if I choose to try it. So that's been a plus, too!

Please be kind, especially if you don't know the whole story behind what someone has or hasn't tried, and how their kitty responds to it. Thanks :) My cat is already stressed enough; if I can relieve some stress by finding a way of giving her the same medicine or supplement, but in a less stressful way, then I will. If she likes getting the individual d-mannose and cornsilk better, then that's what I'll do.

Last edited:

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Givem the uromaxx, it works in time, wont work straight away...Guarantee the cat will hate it but after tolerating it daily youll get less and less fuss until no cat complaints...Read the reviews, a thousand reviews cant be wrong...My vet had no idea what uromaxx was cause its not a drug

You can try sneakin up on your cat, I do that but they got a good sensce of smell, i cant do that with the fish oil though

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Givem the uromaxx, it works in time, wont work straight away...Guarantee the cat will hate it but after tolerating it daily youll get less and less fuss until no cat complaints...Read the reviews, a thousand reviews cant be wrong...My vet had no idea what uromaxx was cause its not a drug
Yeah, I was surprised my vet knew about it. She wasn't against using Uromaxx at all.

She's been great about helping me with alternative solutions besides medicine. She's never forced anything on me that she didn't feel would help. And if something doesn't help, she's okay with discontinuing it and finding something else.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy update :)

Iris is on a five-day well streak! Clumps are almost back to normal size, and she's peeing the same number of times she usually would in a day. So proud of her!

She's currently off of both Metacam and buprenorphine. (If she starts showing signs of pain again, I'll put her back on the buprenorphine.)

Instead, she's getting Composure chews, VetriScience UT Strength chews, as well as some extra cornsilk mixed into her food each day. No drugs! And the best part is that she doesn't mind any of these things! So it's a very low-stress solution that actually seems to be helping. :) Hoping it continues to help.

Crazygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 year 2 month male dealing with FIC we believe. The vet gave as muscle spasm medicine and pain medicine but we are on two weeks now. We had a few good days and then went bad again. I do not want to drug him out. I need to find a non-drug approach to this problem. So frustrated and sad for the cat. Such a happy cat and now just lethargic from drugs. I am going to talk to vet about the Royal C. wet food for urinary. Has anyone used tuna water to get their cat to drink more. I have water bowls, fountains, etc. Everywhere. This cat is the least stressed cat I know but everything says stress brings this on.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine was on mostly dry and developed fic maybe stress related. I have him on RC wet only and he is doing great. Did you have a urine analysis done, if so what did it show. Did you also have a scan and what did that show.