Mammary Cancer?

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that's what my cat has. Noticed last Tuesday that a nipple was swollen and discharging. Took her in the next day. He thought it's a good chance of mammary cancer, but in case it wasn't - gave her an anti-biotic and made an appt in two weeks. He said if it gets pretty bad, bring her in next week.

So, this week, it seemed like it was spreading and getting slightly bigger to me. I brought her in Wednesday and he agreed, and thought it should come out. We scheduled it for Monday.

Now today (Thursday) seems to be the first day that she really isn't herself. Not eating with as much enthusiasm as usual. Left some canned food, and came back to it later. Most times she'll eat the whole thing, but she does sometimes leave some for later. Didn't eat the treats I gave her, which is unusual..............And, has a little noticeable less energy about things.

So, my question is - do I try to talk them into doing the surgery before Monday? I don't know if it's even possible - but would it matter in the scheme of things?

Lalexa67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give them a call and try to bring the appiintment up. Best of luck to you! Let us know how she is. Prayers are being said for you and your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nobody has experience with mammary cancer here? I have somewhat of an update, but I'm not that good of a typist and don't want to try to type it out unless I think somebody might have some opinions.

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll just ask this - does a few days matter?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet do a needle biopsy and an x-ray?

How old is your cat? Is she spayed?

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They did do both. He said on the phone that both looked good...............Very long story but I ended up at an emergency 24 hour vet all night - and ended up with the greatest vet. Instead of taking a boatload of money, she wants to save me money and get my Maggie better via pain meds, anti-inflammatories, and anti-biotics - and have her healthy enough to have surgery at my regular doctor on Tuesday.

She thinks the pain is why my cat has gone downhill rapidly and isn't herself - eating or energy.

I said the question I've had all day and couldn't get an answer is does four days matter if it's mammary cancer. She said no...........So, I'll follow up tomorrow night when she's back in and let her know how Maggie is doing.

It'll probably save me 2-3000 bucks by her being as good and honest as she was.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know are you hesitant to type a lot, but hearing all of the details would be helpful.

How old is your cat? Is she spayed? What have the test results shown so far? Was there an x-ray done, and did it show the cancer had spread?

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know are you hesitant to type a lot, but hearing all of the details would be helpful.

How old is your cat? Is she spayed? What have the test results shown so far? Was there an x-ray done, and did it show the cancer had spread?
Thanks, Peanut. I really think I have my answers now. The pain meds and anti inflammatory they gave her last night seem to be working. And, the vet answered my big question - does 4 days matter with this? She said no. (And, she'd make a lot of money by saying yes)

She also wanted the answers to exactly what you asked. My regular vet had only told me that the X Ray and blood work came out fine. And, she was spayed but I don't have an exact date because she was a rescue at 2-3 years old, four years ago.