Mamma Cat Is Skinny... What Can I Do?

Humankittylover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last month, I took in a pregnant cat. I had her one week before she gave birth... her kitties are now five weeks old and are growing like crazy.

Mamma (Daphne) is a huge eater, but given the fact she has five kittens, it's believable. However, she is underweight. She always has dry kitten food available, (but prefers dry adult food?) and about three times a day she gets wet canned food, she would take a few small bites, then she was done.

For the last three or so days, I've been giving her softened dry kitten and adult food, canned food and raw/cooked ground beef, about three-five times a day. She usually eats it all. So far, it has helped and she has put on a little bit of weight. Is there anything else I can do and should I continue with the ground beef? Can any of you recommend a wormer for her, that is safe for nursing kittens?

As soon as the kittens are weaned, she'll go in and get spayed and found a wonderful loving home.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You can give mom KMR. This is usually used for feeding young kittens when their mom in unable to, but it is totally safe to use in adult cats, and is common for use in cats who need to gain weight.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could give goats milk for drinking - cheaper than KMR... :) If you dont have problems with salomonella in eggs at your place, raw egg yolk is good and very nourishing and easily digested. As it is, or mixed with say, this goats milk or KMR.

Otherwise, you can give boiled eggs. If boiled or cooked, you can give whole eggs, including the prepared white.

Full fat plain youghurt is good. Some fatty cheese...

If she doenst like such, you can give some other calcium addition, commercial or simply crushed shells from boiled eggs, crushed into a fine powder. This you sprinkle a little on her food, alike it were kitchen salt...

Egg shells are made of almost pure calcium.