Mama Kitty Won't Let Kittens Grow Up?

tia0524

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had several cats in my life time, but this one cat has definitely confused me. Eight weeks ago my cat had kittens, and up until they were five weeks old she was attacking them, leaving us to watch them (we had to pet her or restrain her to let her nurse them, there was nothing wrong with her, she just didn't want to. We had her checked out). Once they hit five weeks, and we had them on kitten food, she had them weaned down to nursing once a day a week later. Now, at eight weeks, she freaks out if they aren't all within twenty feet of her. Any further, and she chases them down. She pins them down with her legs and grooms them while nursing them (Ive been counting the last few days. Today: 6 times; yesterday: 5 times; day before that: 7 times). She tries to keep them from climbing, and tries to steer them away from the food and water. The other day she pushed one of the kittens away from the bowl and used a nearby blanket to cover it before making the kitten nurse. What's going on here? I'm using a kitten food recommended by my vet, so I'm certain they're getting plenty of nutrition (I also feed them four times a day in two different bowls to ensure everyone is full, and seeing as they're all getting fat I think it's safe to say nobody is going hungry). Plus, one of the kittens won't even nurse. He just lays there, but she seems to be moving his face in an attempt to get him to try and latch on. When he won't, she starts biting his ears and scratching him until he runs off. What's going on with her? Why is she refusing to let them stop nursing? They aren't even interested. I've tried separating them for small amounts of time (two hour intervals, and never over night). I tried that for two days, but that only seemed to increase the forced nursing sessions. It even seems like she's losing weight, despite the fact shes being fed separately from the kittens. What can I do? I'm honestly thinking about calling my vet soon. She's acting very strange, and it's starting to worry me

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is distressed about something. Losing the weight is bothersome to me, though nursing moms often do. The biting and scratching her own babies is worrisome too, I think she is frustrated. Some cats are just not meant to have babies too, I have had several just abandon their litters. Needless to say, it is likely time to have her brought in, be checked out, and then spayed. That would reduce her stress level. The poor little ones will be ready soon to be homed, it would be a good thing for them to maybe even find one a little early. This is really strange behavior, I think after the kittens are gone she will settle down. Be careful, she could get pregnant again at any time. Please keep us posted!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is maybe cycling in and out of heat which effects how she is feeling and acting with her children. The other possibility is that she isn’t feeling well. In any case it is most definitely time for a visit to the vet and a spay.