Mama gave birth!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unplugging it might not be a bad idea, at least for right now while she's with them so constantly. Try that and see how things go - if there's any point where she's not with them for very long in these early days while they can't regulate their body temperature, just turn the pad back on.
I unplugged it and will check back in after a bit. She did just have a large bowl movement (which was totally normal, just big) - maybe that was hard work & she's having some pain from it and that's why she's panting.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may be hot. Is the heating pad set on low under the bedding? Is there room for her to move off? She can have the KMR indefinitely for now. She needs the calcium and other good stuff in it. 72 degrees is not hot, and kittens need to be about 90 degrees in their internal temp, so mom’s hormones are working hard and she feels hot.

Like human moms, cats do not immediately get skinny after giving birth because extra weight was gained and the uterus takes time to shrink back down. Are you concerned that she may still be pregnant? If so, a vet should examine her.

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may be hot. Is the heating pad set on low under the bedding? Is there room for her to move off? She can have the KMR indefinitely for now. She needs the calcium and other good stuff in it. 72 degrees is not hot, and kittens need to be about 90 degrees in their internal temp, so mom’s hormones are working hard and she feels hot.

Like human moms, cats do not immediately get skinny after giving birth because extra weight was gained and the uterus takes time to shrink back down. Are you concerned that she may still be pregnant? If so, a vet should examine her.
The heating pad is meant for a pet's bed & doesn't have a temp setting - it's meant to be a low heat. I plugged it back in for overnight. I think the bed might be a little small for her and all the babies. Another one should be arriving soon. This morning when I went in to check on her she was breathing pretty normal. When I started weighing the kittens (in front of her so she could see), she started panting and when I finished, she calmed down. I think I was up in her business too much last night because I was checking on the kittens a lot and trying to get one to latch onto a better nipple. I don't think she's still pregnant...goodness, I hope not! I felt her belly and it felt a little lumpy (hoping that was just her uterus or something) but I didn't feel any movement.

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One other question...everyone gained at least 10 grams in the last 24 hours except for the biggest kitten. It went from 185 to 191 - only 6 grams. That kitten is so much bigger than the others, is it possible for a big kitten like that to have a day where they don't put on 10 grams (it has gained at least that on every other day, once it was double that)? I'll weigh it again at 6pm tonight to check its progress today. I'm hoping it will make up for lost time. Any insights welcome!

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Furballsmom Furballsmom Well, big kitten gained over 20 grams since yesterday, so I think its ok! :lol: Thank you so much for all your input/advice. Really has helped a tremendous amount to know I have knowledgeable people to ask all my nervous nelly questions!! You're gems!!

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I'm chiming in with another question about one of the kittens. Everyone seems to be doing fine...putting on plenty of weight, very active, starting to play (they're just over 2 weeks now), starting to crawl out of the nest, etc. Everyone's eyes are open, but one of the kittens has its 3rd eyelids showing since opening its eyes. It's acting fine, nursing really well, doesn't sound congested, and there's no real discharge from the eyes, today a tiny bit of "sleep" like what you get when you wake up, but definitely not discharge. My vet's office said to watch and see if any discharge develops or if it stops nursing/being active. Has anyone had a kitten who's 3rd eyelid shows just after their eyes open? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve not heard of this in a kitten this small before, and it usually means the cat is feeling poorly. It’s possible the kitten has a virus. As your vet advised, just keep a close watch on him for now.

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve not heard of this in a kitten this small before, and it usually means the cat is feeling poorly. It’s possible the kitten has a virus. As your vet advised, just keep a close watch on him for now.
Thanks. I'm watching like a hawk. If I see any hint of discharge or they start losing weight/stop nursing/stop being active, I'll bring the kitten in to be seen.

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I'm concerned about one of the kittens (the one in a previous post whose 3rd eyelids were showing)...the 3rd eyelids seemed to reduce/go away for the most part unless she's sleepy and she has been eating/gaining weight and playing and climbing all around. This weekend, however, I noticed that there was a mushy lump on her belly/lower abdomen. I spoke with a nurse at a vet clinic and the nurse at my new vet (my regular vet is in the hospital, my new vet is on vacation and I have an appointment to see him next Friday) and they both thought it's most likely a hernia. They said there's not much to do until she gets spayed but to watch it (if it becomes hard/solid, get her to the ER immediately) and make sure she's progressing in weight. The lump doesn't appear painful to her and she's been gaining weight, but this morning when I weighed her, she'd gone from 533 grams yesterday to 522 grams. I made sure she had several hours with mama to nurse on her own. She got up to 532 grams by 1pm, but by 3pm she'd gone back down to 522 grams ??!! how is that even possible in 2 hours? I double checked that my scale is working and by all appearances it is. She is currently playing with the other kittens. I am worried though. I will make sure she gets good nursing time with mama. All the other kittens are putting on weight so I know she's got enough milk. At what point do I decide to start supplementing? Or do I just decide I need to get her to a vet before my appointment next Friday? Thoughts?

EDIT: I just checked on her and she is now up to 530 grams again (2 hours later). I think I'm just going to keep making sure she's with mama and nursing while the others nap and see how she does by morning.

Last edited:

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just checked on her and in less than 24 hours she has gained 16 grams! Whew! Not sure what happened with her weight yesterday, so strange! But she's happy, nursing well and super playful/inquisitive. So I'm happy. :))) The other kittens gained crazy amounts - 20-40 grams, even with me making sure the other kitten had time while they napped to nurse she only gained 16, but that's a totally respectable gain, I think. Thanks for checking in!!