Mama Catss only wants human food

mojoseph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My maybe 7 year old (she was a stray six years ago) has become super picky about her wet food, I throw away more than she eats. I finally found a Fancy Feast "appetizer" she will eat, but that can't be good long term. (She has access to dry at all times - I'm not sure how much of that she eats, we have two cats.)
However, she will beg and beg and beg for treats and for people food. I cannot leave anything on the counter for a minute without her trying to get into it. I've learned the hard way she will eat her entire body weight in raw meat. I found her basically inside a raw pork roast recently, just tunneling through it one bite at a time. (Expensive distracted mistake on my part.) She even flipped open a pizza box last weekend when we had company and tried to make off with a slice bigger than she is. (Not embarrassing at all).
She will also sit and beg for food off my plate. Any kind of cooked meat, chicken, pork chop, chicken nuggets, lunch meat - she would happily eat until she actually burst.
Otherwise, she is acting totally fine and perky. She still bullies our other cat and smacks the dogs around if they accidentally enter her personal "bubble". Or she goes out of her way to smack them just for kicks.
And here's the worst part - she has me trained. If she won't eat for a couple days, I give in to her demands and give her some cooked chicken or ground beef. I'm weak.
Note: She's due at the vet in a month or so so I'll bring it up then. Also she's always been a petite cat, everyone thinks she's a kitten. She hasn't lost weight that I can tell.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, I don’t have any brilliant ideas about how to stop her from begging for human food, but something that I would recommend trying to get her to eat is Fancy Feast kitten, and then mixing some of the fancy feast appetizer in with the full amount of the kitten food. What I’m thinking is that she might eat that combination because the kitten food may be more palatable, and plus she’ll taste the appetizer in there. She could use the extra calories anyway, since she’s pregnant. You can offer her some KMR or PetLac as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mojoseph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I don’t have any brilliant ideas about how to stop her from begging for human food, but something that I would recommend trying to get her to eat is Fancy Feast kitten, and then mixing some of the fancy feast appetizer in with the full amount of the kitten food. What I’m thinking is that she might eat that combination because the kitten food may be more palatable, and plus she’ll taste the appetizer in there. She could use the extra calories anyway, since she’s pregnant. You can offer her some KMR or PetLac as well.
I was misleading in my original post, I just edited it. She isn't pregnant (thank goodness) she showed up six years ago pregnant and we adopted the kittens out and had her spayed. But we just kept calling her Mama so my husband officially named her Mama Catss in honor of Mama Cass (:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mojoseph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was misleading in my original post, I just edited it. She isn't pregnant (thank goodness) she showed up six years ago pregnant and we adopted the kittens out and had her spayed. But we just kept calling her Mama so my husband officially named her Mama Catss in honor of Mama Cass (:
Also thanks for the advice, I did not think of kitten food!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You could look into using a premix like EZComplete or Alnutrition and mix it with cooked plain chicken to make it a complete meal. Basically you’d be doing homemade cat food.