Mama cat needs flea treatment but has 7 week old kittens. What should I do?

Dx121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(Here's hoping I put this question in the correct location. Mods, if this question is in the wrong place, my apologies!)

Short version :
10 days back I ended up adopting a stray mama cat at her (currently) 7 week old kittens from outside.
They're all thriving and doing well.
The only thing is that mama cat is inside / outside (I live out in the countryside and my property has a metal chain link fence around it) and has fleas.
The kittens are pretty okay with getting combed to get rid of theirs, mama cat... not quite so tolerant.
And I won't dare try to give her a bath. She's a nice enough cat, clearly happy to be here, safe, and well fed, but if she gets riled up, she's a biter and a fighter.
What should I do?

1 - Baths are out of the question for her. (Still trying to get her to be acclimated to sitting in the bathtub, no water running, just to be in there for a few seconds at a time, then positive reinforcement so she knows that isn't a bad place. So it'll take a while before I try anything involving a bathtub and actual water.)
2 - I won't dare try to put any topical treatment on her because (despite how all other mama cats with 7 week old kittens are, currently this mama cat has zero interest in weaning her kittens, and even shows special treatment to one of them in particular) she's still nursing and has no problems letting her kittens ramble and play all across her.
3 - Would putting a flea and tick collar on her be a bad idea?
4 - Oral flea treatment is another no-no because of those nursing kittens.
5 - For now, should I simply buckle down and continue trying to flea comb her because any flea treatment would only be harmful for the kittens?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and any suggestions you might have about this.

(And for anyone who's curious, I attached a picture of this little furry family. Enjoy the cute.)

Attachments

weili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I seriously don't get what is with people issue of bathing a cat. We have no issues. You just need to get it done quickly and not do anything that would just scare them more. I have observed understand more about cats so know how to calmly give a bath to a cat. If you put them in shallow water like two cm deep, they don't have any issue at all. Also holding their chest comforts them. We started that way with our brat. Now he is so use to baths that we just turn the bath on with him in it and he just looks at the water.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Such cuties!!! You are a week away from the standard 8 weeks for treating the kittens with a flea treatment. Advantage II is one that can be used on kittens at that age. But you might need to check with your vet about the lactating aspect as I am unclear on that point.

Frontline and Frontline Plus are supposed to be safe to use with lactating cats, and also on kittens after they reach 8 weeks. Believe it or not, Capstar (oral) is safe for lactating cats as well as kittens that are at least 4 weeks old and 2 pounds.

All of this I am telling you should be verifiable by going to each of the products' web site and searching for instructions/directions. That is where I found all the information when I was doing research for various flea treatments, but I still think you should double-check on your own.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was told to use frontline spray when my girl was pregnant. It is safe to use on pregnant and lactating queens, as well as kittens from 2 days old. I was very wary of using as I always am with a new treatment of anything but no one showed any side affects if that helps you :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was told to use frontline spray when my girl was pregnant. It is safe to use on pregnant and lactating queens, as well as kittens from 2 days old. I was very wary of using as I always am with a new treatment of anything but no one showed any side affects if that helps you :)
That is very surprising, as the data I had collected said NOT to use the spray on lactating cats. Dx121 Dx121 - this is the very reason why I suggested you go to the products' web site and look for yourself.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peaches&Mango Peaches&Mango is correct about Frontline (fipronil) spray being used on tiny kittens and puppies as young as 2 days (as per manufacturer's website and other countries' regulations); however, the U.S.' FDA lists the minimum age as 8 weeks so FeebysOwner FeebysOwner is also right. Be sure not to confuse Frontline (fipronil) with Frontline Plus (fipronil & s-methoprene); the latter requires a minimum age of 8 weeks. Here's a professional discussion from the University of Wisconsin's Shelter Medicine program about the matter:
Library
Flea wars aside, those kitties are cuteness overload :thud:The "cow kitty" mama and her almost doppelganger baby will make an adorable,matched set - I hope that they get placed together. They are so precious and very blessed to have been rescued by you. Mama kitty had excellent instincts in choosing your home as sanctuary. Enjoy the fun and please keep us updated!
:runningcat::climbcat::dizzycat::happycat::clapcat:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dx121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, thank you. thank you so much for all of the help. I didn't realize I had so many options available! This is so helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dx121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I seriously don't get what is with people issue of bathing a cat. We have no issues. You just need to get it done quickly and not do anything that would just scare them more. I have observed understand more about cats so know how to calmly give a bath to a cat. If you put them in shallow water like two cm deep, they don't have any issue at all. Also holding their chest comforts them. We started that way with our brat. Now he is so use to baths that we just turn the bath on with him in it and he just looks at the water.
"We started that way with our brat. "
lol Single most accurate thing said about the entire cat species, and we love them for it anyway.

"You just need to get it done quickly and not do anything that would just scare them more. "
The only thing is, if the poor thing is already not sure of what's going on, then suddenly WATER!, hello freak out mode.
I guess what I should try next is to have a large bowl of water set off to the side, and be dunking a cup into that to gently pour over the cat as needed.

Hi. Such cuties!!! You are a week away from the standard 8 weeks for treating the kittens with a flea treatment. Advantage II is one that can be used on kittens at that age. But you might need to check with your vet about the lactating aspect as I am unclear on that point.

Frontline and Frontline Plus are supposed to be safe to use with lactating cats, and also on kittens after they reach 8 weeks. Believe it or not, Capstar (oral) is safe for lactating cats as well as kittens that are at least 4 weeks old and 2 pounds.

All of this I am telling you should be verifiable by going to each of the products' web site and searching for instructions/directions. That is where I found all the information when I was doing research for various flea treatments, but I still think you should double-check on your own.
They absolutely are such cute kittens. And all color coordinated, too! lol

About the lactating aspect, yeah. That's always something I worry about because the last thing anyone wants is for any of these little hairballs to accidentally ingest any.

Thank you for sharing, and yeah. That's something I learned years back. Don't mindlessly trust anything. Take the time out, do the research for yourself, and really carefully look over your options. After all, we're talking about the lives and safety of a mama cat and her kittens. The more cautious and informed the owner / pet parent is, the better. (Always better than the alternative of mindlessly choosing the first option and trusting that everything will be fine.)

HI!

Would this work?

Homemade Flea Remedies For Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Oh wow! Thank you! This is much appreciated.

Any experience is always helpful information to have. And thank you.

Peaches&Mango Peaches&Mango is correct about Frontline (fipronil) spray being used on tiny kittens and puppies as young as 2 days (as per manufacturer's website and other countries' regulations); however, the U.S.' FDA lists the minimum age as 8 weeks so FeebysOwner FeebysOwner is also right. Be sure not to confuse Frontline (fipronil) with Frontline Plus (fipronil & s-methoprene); the latter requires a minimum age of 8 weeks. Here's a professional discussion from the University of Wisconsin's Shelter Medicine program about the matter:
Library
Flea wars aside, those kitties are cuteness overload :thud:The "cow kitty" mama and her almost doppelganger baby will make an adorable,matched set - I hope that they get placed together. They are so precious and very blessed to have been rescued by you. Mama kitty had excellent instincts in choosing your home as sanctuary. Enjoy the fun and please keep us updated!
:runningcat::climbcat::dizzycat::happycat::clapcat:
lol I was thinking that exact same thing about her almost doppleganger baby.
It's really surprising how everyone is all black and white. Sure they've got tabby stripes in the black (something I still get such a big kick out of getting to see. Even "black cats" aren't black. Get them in the right lighting and you can see those tabby stripes all over. SO cool!
In the past I've had different kinds of kittens find their way here, with and without a mama cat or siblings, but this is the first time a mama cat has come here with babies and they've all been color coordinated.

Thank you for the kind words. It's very appreciated. <3

"Enjoy the fun and please keep us updated!"
^_^ Yes, and will do!