Mama cat laying on kittens-help

zodiackitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lunesta had her first(and last she will be fixed after this) litter kittens last night, there were three when I went to bed (thinking she was done) and when I woke this morning there were six. One had died, she laid on it..

after removing the dead kitten,she still keeps laying on the 5 remaining ones. I'm worried she's going to kill those ones too. am I worrying over nothing?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may lay on them a bit to keep them warm and protect them. I doubt she laid on it to the point where she killed it. Are you sure it wasn't something else? There really is no way to tell but if the momma cat goes outdoors she could have picked up anything and brought it in to the kittens, their immune systems are very underdeveloped at such a young age.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes momma cats do lie on their kittens... I recommend watching her closely. Jen is right in saying that it could have been a lot of things causing the kitten's death though.

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
BE CAREFUL!!!! I beleive that is what happened to Tweeks 6 kittens that died. it could have been anything I know, but, Jonah would have died as well if I didn't bring him in.

boots

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
boots done that and still does i just kept a close eye on her and any time i saw her id move her over from them a little she finally got what she was doing and when they squeaked she finally realised why but she still has her clumsy moments i had 2 move her out the box as i think it was 2 cramped aswell xx

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaSquishy

BE CAREFUL!!!! I beleive that is what happened to Tweeks 6 kittens that died. it could have been anything I know, but, Jonah would have died as well if I didn't bring him in.
So exactly how is Tweek???

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure its a big enough box for the mom to lay down and stretch out. Better to have extra room, then not enough for everyone to be comfortable.

The kitten may not have died cause she laid on it. Since not all were born before you went to be, it could have died during or right after birth.