male vs female spraying

bellebud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've always thought that male cats can spray, even if they're neutered, and that females generally don't.

I've recently learned that was wrong. 

I'd love to be educated on spraying.  

We recently got a female kitten, and are getting another kitten in a few weeks.  I was set on 2 females because of the spraying thing, but I'd like to consider a male if it's not an issue.

We'll definitely fix both kittens asap, whether male or female.  

We have 2 male adult dogs (who are good w/ cats), if that makes any difference in the possibility of spraying (territorial behavior??)

Thanks for any info!  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, females are just as likely to spray :/. So go ahead and get a boy. . .as long as you have him neutered young enough, he won't be any more likely to spray than a female would be. And male/female pairs usually get along better. Be sure to have her spayed by 4 months!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one femals who sprays occasionally, and one who goes through the motions but nothing comes out. It is a territorial thing and happens if they are a bit stressed. But female spray at least doesn't smell as bad as a male, even as a neuter male.

thekittysaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm. I had no idea females could spray. I've had a female cat for 11 years. I had her fixed when she was a year old. I now have 3 females and one male. No doubt about it when the males spray. One of my girls shakes her tail kind of weird; but she never seems to be under stress when its happening. All my babies are fixed now.  A 1/2 cup of white vinegar in with the wash cycle when washing the sprayed clothes or linen, will get the smell out.