Male Visitors

boobookitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female cat has been spayed years ago. The past few weeks there has been a big gray cat hanging around my front porch at night. Today a black and white cat was hanging around the house and being very vocal. There has been spraying of urine around the porch and deck as well. Are these cats in heat and after my female?

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Only females go into heat, the males are always ready.
I'm guessing that either a stray female has taken up residence nearby that they are trying to impress, or they are finding food there and marking the territory as their own hunting ground.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some males try and attract anyone, spayed or entire.

Over here we have moth balls in a little canister with a hook designed to be hung in a wardrobe, but you can hand them on the front door or around spraying areas. Sometimes it helps keep cats away, and because they're in a canister no one can eat them or touch them.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And my vet told me that the scent of a female in heat can set off an altered male... calling, humping, spraying... etc.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

And my vet told me that the scent of a female in heat can set off an altered male... calling, humping, spraying... etc.
Five of my kitties arrived here in one months time, first male and female feral littermates, then an abandoned Mama cat and her two female kittens. Two had costly medical issues, so I was unable to have them all fixed right away. I opted to nueter the male and wait for spay day to get the girls done low cost. One by one the females took turns going into heat. Although the male had been fixed before he reached sexual maturity, he tried to -uh, polite word here?- well, lets just say he tried.
Possibly just to shut them up though, it was a rough few months for all of us. Proud to say that no one escaped and got pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boobookitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help everyone! Maybe the black and white vocal cat is a female in heat. It had my cat cornered on the deck today and I think my cat scratched it's eye because it's left eye was closed. I didn't see it around for the rest of the day. I feel bad about it's eye but my cat was only defending herself. Good thing I came out when I did. I'll try the mothballs if these cats keep coming around. I didn't see the big gray cat last night but that doesn't mean he won't be back.