Male Pattern Baldness?

John Malcolm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our new lynx-point Siamese is early in his fifth week of treatment with itraconazole systemically for ringworm. The original patch is healing well but he seems to be losing fur across the top of his head and behind the ears. The only other recent treatment is topical fipronil + (S)-methoprene (Frontline Plus) about a month ago for theoretical fleas, ticks, etc. Before that he had Drontal (prazquantel/pyrantel pamoate/febantel) once for worms. Could his new 'male-pattern baldness' be a side-effect or behavioral tic or what?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It would seem to me that it is likely related to the ringworm, perhaps spreading a bit? If he is scratching those areas due to itchiness - as can be common with ringworm, that could explain the bald patches. Do you see the beginnings of any new ringworm spots in those areas? You might call the vet - maybe even share some pics with them of what it looks like - to see what they think? A lot of times a topical treatment is done in tandem with oral anti-fungals to help speed up the eradication process.

I personally can't imagine that Frontline Plus or Drontal would have caused this considering the time that has passed since they were administered. But, you could ask about that as well when you contact the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

John Malcolm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response. His original ringworm site was in front of one ear; it was bald but also reddened and scaly. He got some relief from a topical anti-fungal while we waited for the more expensive oral medicine recommended by our vet after the culture results were available. That patch has mostly cleared. The new alopecia is very symmetrical with a large bald patch behind each ear and a general thinning across the scalp. It doesn't appear tender or itchy or red. He seems well otherwise.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, wow! It just seems odd of the timing of this given the ringworm, but if he has been stressed throughout the ringworm treatment, along with him being Siamese, perhaps these attributes caused the balding to start. I'd at least ask the vet if this kind of balding can arise in a cat at his age, or if it is not typically until cat gets a bit older. Very curious indeed!

Last edited:

John Malcolm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's certainly had a lot of stress in his short life: first in a home with small children, then in two different shelters, then in our home where he's expected to follow weird rules about where he may scratch carpets and where not, when he may get on the bed and when not... plus the new house has many odd noises and people keep giving him meds and the food is not what he's used to and... well, if stress makes cats bald, he has an excuse.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I own a lynx-ie to! Because they are a mix of two breeds they can get mellow attributes to. Siamese are prone to allergies but my guess it is probably ringworm. As far as I know stress grooming starts with the belly? I know when Dante (R.I.P.) had allergies he threw up a couple times a week, thinned out his belly fur & eventually his lower lip swelled up.

That said my lynx does fine with my niece & nephew (since he had to get used to them invading his home a couple of times every week since he was 4 weeks old.) Jackie just avoids them and gets his snuggles when they leave to go home. He is however extremely bonded to me! When I had to stay in the hospital for a few days, he stayed calm because his brother/best friend was there to comfort him/keep him calm. So does your lynx have a friend that helps calm him down? Has for medication might I suggest the fancy feast treat pouches of flaked tuna? A little bribery always helps! Jackie is perfecting spin for the flaked tuna!

Outside time is like Ritalin for hyper cats (siamese) but they like to go outside the same time every day. I feed Jackie his wet food dinner when he comes in for the night.

John Malcolm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Linc is especially pampered by my wife, but he is learning to get comfortable with me too. We haven't had him long, so we're hoping his stress will continue to ebb with time. When the ringworm treatment is finished next week, we shall see what we shall see, I guess.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might I suggest clicker training? It will help challenge his mind (a must for hyper cats) & help him to bond with you! A spoon and baby food (onion & garlic free) should work. (I use the fancy feast flaked tuna treats or you can try tuna or salmon lil soup.)

Also since siamese are prone to allergies I avoid all things chicken, wheat & corn. Just in case. The same reason I carry my spoiled lynx’s food. He is young at 18 months but I’m considering an immune supplement. Also siamese are prone to bad teeth which I’d why Jackie has an enzyme toothpaste & he is getting used to me brushing his teeth with a q-tip (you can try the finger brush.)

You have to tire out A (hyper) cat’s mind to tire out their minds!