Male or a Female?

Herekittykitty27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Haven’t used this site in a year or so, but I got a new kitten yesterday! He was born feral but is warming up to me (still hisses when I first come up to his carrier, though)

Anyways, we were wanting a male because we have an intact male already, and we didn’t want to worry about a pregnancy before we got her spayed. However, since bringing him home, I’ve double checked and I’m starting to think I may have incorrectly sexed him.
Please let me know if you think otherwise! I’m really hoping he’s a male, we have already decided on “Reggie”.

Attachments

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a female to me to be honest. I would get your intact male neutered lol. Otherwise you will have to get this little girl spayed at 4 months old.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be the odd duck here but it looks like a little guy to me.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be the odd duck here but it looks like a little guy to me.
Females have slits and the "holes" are closer together then males (1/2inch apart for girls instead of an inch or more for males). Males tend to be far apart the holes, some you can see the little balls, and the last hole is circular instead of a slit.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Females have slits and the "holes" are closer together then males (1/2inch apart for girls instead of an inch or more for males). Males tend to be far apart the holes, some you can see the little balls, and the last hole is circular instead of a slit.

Still not seeing where you both think its a girl. It probably is, but I am not seeing it.
1591568589857.png

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The photo the OP posted isnt the best quality but to me the second hole looks like a slit verses a dot lol. The kitten not sure of the age but looks like at least 8 weeks old so by that time its much easier to know. By 10 to 12 weeks old boys have very pronounced scrotums. My boys were very easy to tell as kittens because by 8 weeks, old they already had some well defined balls already lol.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some females have a strong sort of a lip around the vagina that can look like a small scrotum.

It's very hard to tell on this cat. I see a slit, but the holes are very far apart.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking girl, as well. But do bear in mind that even vets have been fooled with kittens! Get your boy in for neutering ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Herekittykitty27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! I think I agree with a girl after looking a little harder. Unfortunately we are not neutering our male, but we will make sure to get Miss Reggie spayed! When should I get that done to avoid anything?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering that you have an intact male, I would recommend that you get her spayed by 4 months at the latest.

(3-4 months is a good age for spaying anyway, but you would have a little more flexibility if you didn't need to worry about your male getting her pregnant on her first heat.)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since you are planning on breeding your male, yes, by all means, take her in as soon as the vet is willing. Explain to him that you have a breeding male in the home, and don't want any "OOPS!" litters.