Male neutered cat spraying

faithshaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I recently just adopted a 6 year old neutered male cat . And he won't stop spraying everywhere , I have tried absolutely everything . I brought him to the vet got him checked for a uti , and his results showed he didn't have one, we tried the feliway collar n defuser and no luck using that , we tried the Bach flower , no luck as well. So we ran out of options n this was our last resort to put him on anti anxiety medication. and there is still no changes. I also have 3 other cats they are all female n they are all fixed as well. I feel so helpless I don't know what to do , I really like this cat and I don't want to give up on him . The previous owners also got him declawed . If someone could give me some advice , anything would help ! I have read so many things online and nothing is working [emoji]128542[/emoji][emoji]128542[/emoji] my house is really started to smell really bad .

Last edited by a moderator:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are positive he is completely neutered?  It could be that he had one undescended testicle that is still producing male hormones. You said it is smelling really bad, and that might be a clue.  Neutered male urine smells like urine, clean it up and it's gone.  Intact male urine smells very strong and has a skunky pungent odor to it.   Anyone with experience in rescue could probably tell you just by the smell if he is completely neutered or not.  Also, has he been neutered a long time or is it recent?  Sometimes if they have been intact males, the spraying habit continues for awhile, since he is marking his territory.  I have had that in some of the adult rescues neutered at around 4-5 years old, but they do get over it in time.  If he was only recently neutered, he may still have some skunky smell to his urine but that will pass, and the spraying will pass too as his testosterone levels go down.  You said he is 6 years old and you only recently adopted him.  Find out all you can about his history, like was he an outside cat, did he have access to females in heat, has he experienced breeding them, etc.  One of those males I mentioned, who was neutered at age 3-4 after an outside life, still considers himself a stud.  He doesn't spray in the house at all, but if a rescued female goes into heat, he STILL knows what to do and will do it!  And he has been neutered since 2011.  Give us a little more history and perhaps we can tell you more.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Does he use his litter box at all?Cats that have been declawed often find it very painful to use regular cat litter. Maybe changing to something softer would help?

Are you using an enzyme cleaner to clean the places he sprays? These cleaners get rid of the smell of cat pee more effectively than other cleaners. If he can't smell his own pee in a spot he'll be less likely to pee there again.

Cats don't like to pee against anything that splashes, so if there is a spot he keeps using tape up some aluminium foil to discourage him.

Has he met the girls yet? He could just be trying to announce his presence and mark out a bit of territory for himself. This guide to introducing cats might be helpful. In my house the girl cats rule and they bully the boys if they step out of line. With three girls in the house he might be feeling outnumbered.

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

Thank you for giving him a second chance.