Male Feral

yasmin95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I live in an area with quite a few strays and ferals and have been feeding a female for about 3 weeks now. 2 days ago a male cat started hanging around my garden, fighting the female cat and behaving aggressively. As soon as I went outside to check on them he started hissing at me.

I would like to continue feeding the female cat, however I feel that this would only make the male cat stay in my garden and I'm scared that he might even attack me.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could share any advice on how to get the male cat to leave! Thank you in advance!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! Glad you posted on TCS. I don’t know where you live but Help is available in many areas for Trapping, neutering and then releasing cat. If the cats are spayed or neutered it ends the fighting and the increase in the number of cats you have to deal with. If you start with the female that the male is after then he will probably go away until another female comes into heat. If you get that male neutered and then release him there is a chance he will try and keep other males away. If you need the names of groups who can help you then please post again or PM me with your location so I can try to direct you to help. Thanks for helping these kitties. I doubt that male will attack you but you can always just take a broom or something to hold between you and him. Don’t swing it at him just use it as a wall between you. Furballsmom Furballsmom thanks for the heads up. I hope we can all help here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasmin95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies! However, I do not live in a country where TNR is popular and few groups exist. Whilst this would be a great solution I also do not have the time to do this within the next few weeks. Are there any short term solutions before I am able to neuter them? I really want to continue feeding the female cat but I have never come across such an aggressive male and do not want him near my house.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Welcome to TCS! :wave3:

You can try a separate bowl of of food for him, away from her, and stay out there while they eat. I've had to do that more than once with various cats.

Even if you can't get to a TNR (Trapping, neutering, releasing) group. Do keep that in mind for when you are able. Like Jcatbird Jcatbird it will limited the number of cats birthed (less mouths to feed) and will calm the male cat. The broom is also a great idea, I've never tried it, but I think it would work to keep distance between you and the male.

You're in a tough spot, but I'm sure with all of our heads together, maybe we can help come up with a viable solution for you.

Someone that was in a similar spot here on TSC was given advise about trying to get one cat (the female in this case) in a large cage or shed to feed them away from the other one. It might work if you have a cage / big box / shed and if it's not going to scared the cat.

Furballsmom Furballsmom Yes, thanks for heads up.

Chasethecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! Glad you posted on TCS. I don’t know where you live but Help is available in many areas for Trapping, neutering and then releasing cat. If the cats are spayed or neutered it ends the fighting and the increase in the number of cats you have to deal with. If you start with the female that the male is after then he will probably go away until another female comes into heat. If you get that male neutered and then release him there is a chance he will try and keep other males away. If you need the names of groups who can help you then please post again or PM me with your location so I can try to direct you to help. Thanks for helping these kitties. I doubt that male will attack you but you can always just take a broom or something to hold between you and him. Don’t swing it at him just use it as a wall between you. Furballsmom Furballsmom thanks for the heads up. I hope we can all help here.
Do u know of any in Waynesboro PA. I have some funds to pay for it. I have 3 kittens but the neighborhood is filled with these cereals thanks to a neighbor who refused to get her cat fixed. I don't know if these kittens are male or female but they are getting bigger and need fixed soon I' m sure

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C Chasethecat
I will look into that for you. I know that the National Spay Alliance offers some help. I have a feral emergency right this minute but I will come back. You can send me a PM if you would like. Hopefully others will respond to this post as well. Maybe someone in your area will read this. You can also start a thread and put the area in the title to draw attention to your needs. Alley Cat Allies might help and your local Humane Society May offer programs to help. I will tag your ID on another thread as well. When you see that alert you can click on that to find me if you have not gotten other help by then. I am so glad you are doing something about those kitties. I wish everyone did.

Chasethecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a place about an hour away. I am going to put up some flyers later in the week calling it - Adopt a Stray and get folks to make shelters for these cereals. I am angry that the neighbor who started this problem does NOTHING but throw food out for them. She found a new litter of 3 kittens and called me to help her feed them. I went and bought a baby bottle and formula and got her started and begged her to take those kittens to spca. I have to do something because I don't sleep at night knowing there are cold hungry cats outside. They tear into my trash looking for remnants of my boy Chases food. They have also attacked him which costs us 700.00 to treat him so getting them spayed will help with aggression someone on here said. Wow. So much to do..so little time. Do they breed in the winter

Chasethecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
C Chasethecat
I will look into that for you. I know that the National Spay Alliance offers some help. I have a feral emergency right this minute but I will come back. You can send me a PM if you would like. Hopefully others will respond to this post as well. Maybe someone in your area will read this. You can also start a thread and put the area in the title to draw attention to your needs. Alley Cat Allies might help and your local Humane Society May offer programs to help. I will tag your ID on another thread as well. When you see that alert you can click on that to find me if you have not gotten other help by then. I am so glad you are doing something about those kitties. I wish everyone did.
TY. This place is so awesome I have a big tear stuck down in my belly right now. The helpfulness here is beyond BEE Dutiful lol