male cats in heat

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again,
so I have a colony of feral/semiferal cats, and they've been in my backyard for 3 years. I've been used to hearing yowling and other cat noises while some of them were mating, but most of the time they would mate away from my house. But now since Friday I had one cat, who typically stays in my house all day, that started yowling and asking to go outside. He started smelling all the females, which all appear to be pregnant. The next day, two other male cats started this kind of behavior, and they've all been trying to mate with this one female but she won't let them. Last night I saw one get close enough but now it's Monday and it appears that two cats, including the one that stays in my house, have stopped this behavior, but one is still very persistent and will not leave her alone. I plan on getting them fixed once the clinic I go to opens, but what should I do other than just watch the male's desperation? thx in advance

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Theres nothing you can do until you get them all fixed. Can you find a rescue who could help spay and neuter them asap before you are swarmed with kittens?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think there's anything you can do, however, I *think* once the female is pregnant and no longer in heat, the males *might* be less ansty. But, again, getting them spayed/neutered is the only real fix. I agree with cataholic07 cataholic07 that you should try to find a rescue to help trap the mom and kittens once they arrive, so that the kittens may be able to be tamed and adopted out.