Male cat’s balls have turned black, please help!

Fizzle52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1.5 year old male cat (estimated, he’s a stray we rescued) had a bad case of urethral blockage two weeks ago and, after hospitalisation, has been able to pee at home but still in small amounts + numerous litter trips and with some struggle. The vet suspects he might have a UTI from the catheterisation, but we won’t know until his urinalysis results are back in two weeks. He’s on all medications possible. His balls have become so black and droopy and it’s scaring the hell out of me. Does anyone know what this is?! I’ve attached a before and after photo for reference. Please help!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fizzle52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet told me that it’s because they shaved some of his fur around the area, hence the discolouration, but it’s just hanging so weirdly!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Get him in, get him neutered. I know some people have an "ick" reaction to neutering a tom, but it does protect against several hormone-driven cancers. And unlike humans, his "masculinity" is not linked so directly to his testicles. He'll be fine with it, and much healthier.

meowmeow666meow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not a vet, so hopefully someone more knowledgable chimes in. But why is the urinalysis taking so long? When I take my cats to the vet (they are old and it's part of their routine checkup), the results come back within days.

Anyway, I don't know anything else about what is going on - all the best to you and your kitty friend!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get him in, get him neutered. I know some people have an "ick" reaction to neutering a tom, but it does protect against several hormone-driven cancers. And unlike humans, his "masculinity" is not linked so directly to his testicles. He'll be fine with it, and much healthier.
Agreed. It's the best thing for him. I hope he's OK.