Male Cat With Recurring Utis

coldwetnoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy, Jethro, has a history of UTIs and we always clear it up with Doxycycline . I'd like to know if anybody has used Apple Cider Vinegar for cats who have this problem. Would it help to put a little bit in his water, do you think?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't have experience with that, but is his water filtered?
Is he getting canned food? You could even add a little extra filtered water to his wet food.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would not add vinegar to his diet. If you need to modify the pH of his urine ask your vet for a prescription diet. I would also change to an all wet food diet if you haven't already to increase water intake to help flush his system, and look into potential hygiene issues (does he clean his bum properly, for example).

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really sure about the ACV, but what have you tried so far? What does he eat? Is he too chubby to clean himself properly? (no judgment, I think we've all had our experiences with a fat cat or two! :lol:, I know I have.) Is he an anxious cat at all? What is his water intake amount like? Sorry for all the questions, but sometimes if you can figure out the cause, you don't need to keep "treating" the problem, but change the cause.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My cat fits the description of all of the above!! She is on Hill's C/D and Royal Canin SO - both wet and dry (there is also a urinary health food made by Purina, but I have not tried it). She's been - to the best of my knowledge - bladder stone free since she started these foods about 8 years ago. However, at 14+ and being a little chubby (almost 18 pounds), not to mention some recently diagnosed arthritis, she has started back up with the UTIs. I am now cleaning her booty daily with hypoallergenic wipes to see if that will stop the UTIs, as the vet thinks she is getting them from not keeping herself clean. So far so good, but only time will tell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coldwetnoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess the answer is nobody has ever used ACV for cats. It is often used by exotic bird breeders, but I birds probably don't notice the taste like a cat would. So scratch that idea since it would affect the taste of the water. Jethro has a drinking fountain so my plan is to change the water and the filter more often.
Thanks for all your replies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! In my experience, the filters in those pet water fountains, while they are charcoal and do a little bit, don't do anywhere near enough regarding all the "stuff" that the municiple water treatment plants don't remove these days from our water supplies. Plus they're expensive.

If you can, in addition to your plan, add another layer of protection/filtering. If you aren't already, consider using either a filter pitcher (it's been suggested to give these a regular deep clean to avoid build-up) or my personal favorite of a faucet end filter. If you're near a Costco, they carry pur filter replacements which are a bit less expensive, and then your coffee/tea will be better as well :)

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat suffers with it too. He was put on a prescription diet years ago, then my vet added Phenobarbital as well. He was fine for a while, but has started peeing on my bed again - today in fact! My last vet did all the tests, including a urine culture, but it came back normal.