Male cat start spraying

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, my orange cat (9 or 10months) now start spraying and try to mating other cats. But the problem is i don't know why he's still spraying when there is even enough female cats for him. He's just spraying every where, walking few step and spraying, even in center of room,etc..

He's about 3.5-3.7Kg right now, same as other 5years+ cats (but not as big as spayed black male cat, nearly 7Kg), but look like his body is still too short for mating, he's trying but well, it just look so funny because he can't even reached female part.

So when does he's reduce frequency of spraying ? Because if i'm remember my black cat is not spraying many time like this orange cat, at same age

5years+ adult cat

Persian cat but look like he's F2 or F3

1684777703945.png

while my other cats is like F5-F6 or not pure Persian cat i think

1684777732382.png
1684777744814.png

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I take it this cat is not neutered? That being the case, he is likely not to stop spraying - whether or not he is mating. Spraying can happen whether or not a male cat mates. It is typically a territorial thing, and vying for territory doesn't disappear just because a cat mates.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
but my black cat at same age is not spraying everywhere like him, he's just straight to female cat and mating

3 female cats always prefer old spayed black cat than orange cat, black cat penis can still be hard and mating but he's just tired after awhile cuz maybe nothing come out ?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but my black cat at same age is not spraying everywhere like him, he's just straight to female cat and mating
Cats are individuals not carbon copies of one another in different colours. That's why they each behave differently.

You have 5 cats who aren't spayed and neutered in one space. I'd simply count you as lucky that more aren't spraying. I've never known anyone able to keep two intact males in the same space without someone spraying.

As for the mating question, I have no idea. You'd have to ask in the breeding forum. It would be best to make a new post there to ask your question.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let's see once those female cat heating ended, this orange cat is still spraying or not, yesterday when i'm prepare foods for them, he's just even spraying on my legs, even his spraying smell but other cats just don't even pay attention, walking over that spraying area or even walking on that.

4 female cat always prefer black cat which already neutered 5 years ago, i don't know why, and there's even two female cat trying to mating each other :), doing exactly male cat action, in many years after that black cat neutered. Total 5 female cat if count the one deceased recently, doing that mating things too.

about female spraying, only 2 intact female cat and white mother cat which only gave birth once, spraying
the mother, the first one, gave birth twice and i don't see her spraying from years to years, i think she's just old and have give birth twice, so that make her more mature

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think we've already told you that not all cats react the same, so one intact cat - male or female - can spray and another might not. The only possible way to stop it is to neuter the cat that is spraying - however, the longer the spraying goes on the less likely neutering will stop it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It doesn't matter whether another cat is in heat or not. Another cat's heat has nothing to do with spraying.

There doesn't even need to be a female cat around for miles and a male cat will spray. Especially if you have 2 unneutered makes in the house.

Cats spray because they feel anxious and they feel like they don't have territory. Spraying helps them to feel (temporarily) like they have territory.

When you have a bunch on intact cats in one home, you increase the risk of spraying because of the extra hormonal smells.

Maturity has nothing to do with it either. You've been lucky to have only one cat spraying so far (which, honestly, it's likely your other cats are spraying overtop of his spray at other times. Unless you have cameras everywhere you wouldn't know unless you catch them)