Male Cat Spraying Urine After Being Neutered

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two male cats, brothers. Have had both since they were 12 weeks old. At avout 5,5 months old I got them neutered.

The are now 3,5 years old, and I just saw something unsetteling.

They are mostly indoor cats, but do go out sometimes. They are kind of scared but getting more comfortable outside I think.
My Pepsi, 3,5 years old, I just saw him spray for the first time. Outside, just have to make that clear. Never seen him doing it inside, though now I want to buy a black light just to chech :|

I know neutered cats can still do this. It properly does not helpt that I know there is a cat in the neighbourhood that does spray around the area. I am hoping it was just a reaction to this and not something I have to worry about happening inside. That is my worry, that he will start spraying down the inside with urine. He has always done that happy dance, the one that looks like spraying but isn’t (I have checked! Felt him up to see if he or the wall was wet).

Does anyone have any experinece with this? He is healthy, was not long ago that I had both of my cats to the yearly vetrerenary checkup. Do I need to be worried about him starting to do this indoor? Outside it does not really matter does it, but inside this is not wanted behaviour! :O :/

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many indoor/outdoor cats will spray outside but not inside. They know the difference. I wouldn't worry about it unless he starts to spray indoors.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Willowy. It is probably being caused by the other cat that is spraying outdoors. As long as Pepsi is in good health otherwise, and doesn't begin to spray inside - which is pretty unlikely - you need not worry.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely due to other cats spraying outside. I used to have a spayed female who sprayed outside. I was always so scared she would do it inside but she never did.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he eating a lot of dry food? Maybe try increasing his canned food if the spraying continues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he eating a lot of dry food? Maybe try increasing his canned food if the spraying continues.
He gets almost way to much wet food its all he cries after! He is a sauce lover he will eat some fry food, but mostly I think he waits around untill I give in and give him a almost soupy delicious treat
I could try the other way, give more dry food, but I am afraid he is the type to starve himself if he does not get his way

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am kind of confused as to why this thread turned out to be about dry or wet food. If Pepsi is healthy, not overweight, and has had NO history of urinary issues, I think it would be safe to feed him both dry and wet. And, unless you see spraying inside the house as well and/or not using the litterbox when inside, this is not likely a urinary related issue.

If he is a grazer, leave some dry food out for him during the day, and concentrate the wet food for specific meals. If he does get hungry and realizes that the dry is the only thing available in between meals, I would think he will come to understand that and eat the dry. All of this is assuming, your other cat is also healthy, not overweight, and has had no history of urinary issues.

If you time feed him, give him some of both foods during each meal. If it does turn out that he repeatedly rejects the dry food when given both, then you probably will have to reverse course and up the amount of wet food.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I didn't mean anything by it. :footinmouth: I gather your cat has/had some sort of urinary tract issue?
It's all good. I wasn't mad. I don't know, it looked like spraying, he would back his butt up to things, wiggle it and spray. It went away when I lowered the dry food to under half a cup and increased his canned food.