Male cat pulls out own fur help please.

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Above is my big boy romeo wo is aged 6 he has been pulling hiss own fur out now since about 6/7 months old taken him vets was told he has behaver promblems and to use that feliway but i am in two minds if it works. Dont want my baby on tablets for this. I would like some help with this as its very bad i find hiss fur everwhere and its alot
Could anyother cat owners out there help me Please thanks.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly I'd go back to a vet (perhaps a different one if Feliway was the first vet's only suggestion) and do what they tell you. If you've been consistently using Feliway and he is still doing this, it's clear that's not sufficient.  It is possible he does need to be put on some pills or that there is another solution, but I don't know of any way you're going to be able to train a cat not to yank out his own hair.

I know it can sound a little silly to put a pet on anti anxiety medication, but it truly can sometimes work wonders. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for getting back. Nothing is working its like he goes in a world off hiss own world. I will try a different vets and will keep you updated.

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did a lot of reading about excessive grooming/self mutilation.

There is a ton of info.

Could be flea allergies,food allergies,deficiencies of nutrients.

But if the vet says it isnt medical,the cat has no fleas,good diet and appetite,and no obvious

coat issues.

Yep,behavior.there is a ton of info on behavior mod-but lots of people had success with meds.

my kitty grooms so much,her tummy is so full of fur it scares me.

and she wants to eat constantly,I think she is stuffed like a goose.

It can be nerve wracking.My girl has a dermatitis,vet gave me steroids.

but I think its her nerves a lot of times.

Can you redirect him??

No kitty stop-dont smack him just gently move his head??

dont get bit.

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did a lot of reading about excessive grooming/self mutilation.
There is a ton of info.
Could be flea allergies,food allergies,deficiencies of nutrients.
But if the vet says it isnt medical,the cat has no fleas,good diet and appetite,and no obvious
coat issues.
Yep,behavior.there is a ton of info on behavior mod-but lots of people had success with meds.
my kitty grooms so much,her tummy is so full of fur it scares me.
and she wants to eat constantly,I think she is stuffed like a goose.
It can be nerve wracking.My girl has a dermatitis,vet gave me steroids.
but I think its her nerves a lot of times.
Can you redirect him??
No kitty stop-dont smack him just gently move his head??
dont get bit.
Thanks for the advice, but romeo will bite me. As i have tryed before he just hisses and bites me. Its hard watching him pulling out the fur. Its like self harm for cats. He does not even listen when you call him. Hope i can work something out as all three off my cats are my babays.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 13 year old does the same thing. The vet says it is stress, but from what? I've used anti itch sprays, feliway, everything I can think of. He is almost frantic, like it really itches when he does it, he's almost bald along his back I'm starting to wonder if it is allergies. What about that? Good luck with yours, I'll follow along and see how you come out!

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello thanks for the reply. And i know what you mean like a itch on hiss back romeo is the same. We have tryed loads too. If romeo back itches he trys to run away from it. Mad i know. I just hope the vet will help us this time. Good luck with yours to hunni.